Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Noah's Family

    With the new Noah's Ark movie coming out I went back and re-read the story of Noah in Genesis. There is no name given to his wife or his daughters-in-law, but I realized something about these women, and about Noah's sons too honestly, they had awesome faith.
     I never really thought about it before, but they did. Building that ark was an act of faith, and not just faith in God, but in Noah too. By complying with Noah and helping him build this ark they were saying "Even though God didn't speak to us we are trusting and believing in you and we'll help you do this." And really, all I can say about that is wow!
     It took some thought for me to realize this, and the more I thought about being in her situation the more I realized how hard that would be to do, to just take someone at their word that God commanded them to do something that seemed completely ludicrous. But that's exactly what his family did. I can only imagine that they must have had a lot of love and trust in Noah, but I'm sure at times they doubted his sanity at first too. I say at first because, again I am imagining, as the ark was finished and the animals came, I am sure they realized he was right, but up until that point they really didn't have any proof that he wasn't crazy.
     Just imagine for a minute how you would feel if your spouse, or father, or mother announced to the whole family that God told them to, for some examples, risk everything and possibly end up in debt by opening a business, or give everything away and move some where to be a missionary?  Of course you love this person and want to support them, but we all know we'd have our doubts, not because we didn't believe them, or in them, but because we have no evidence to support this idea as a good one. And while they are confident going 'yeah this is gonna be great God told me so,' you're left going, 'well he didn't tell me and this seems kind of scary and risky. I'm not really sure about it.' Would you still go along with it?
       How hard it must have been for them, to trust with no evidence that Noah really did hear from God, to do what was asked of them without really knowing for sure what was going to happen. I know it had to be hard for Noah too, and I'm sure he had his own doubts about his sanity, but I'm also sure that he got reassurance from God, and maybe his family did too, I don't know. I just think they must have been pretty amazing people, I can only imagine what it was like for them, and honestly I don't know what I would have done in their situation, I want to say I would go along with it too, that I would have the strength to put my questions, fear, and doubts aside to follow a call I didn't hear, but I don't know. Thinking about that it makes me wonder, who has more faith, the one who hears and obeys, or the one who obeys without knowing His voice or the outcome but is simply trusting?

Genesis 6:13-14
So God said to Noah, "I am going to put an end to all the people, for the earth is filled with violence because of them. I am surely going to destroy both them and the earth. So make yourself an ark of cypress wood; make rooms in it and cover it with pitch inside and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment