Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Improving Myself

     Everyday is an opportunity to do better than the day before. Those words are true and hopeful, and easier said than done, but that's what makes it worth it. Things that you don't have to struggle for just don't seem to be worth as much, or maybe it's really we don't see their value as much. I know I am guilty of this. I can say with all certainty that I don't always appreciate what I have. Sometimes I forget to be grateful to God, my husband, and my family, I start taking them for granted and forget that they need and deserve appreciation and respect as much as I feel I do. Sometimes, make that almost all the time, I forget to be grateful for modern conveniences and in fact I probably never think about them until they break.
     What did my little confession of selfishness, and an  ungrateful attitude have to do with getting better each day? Well, it's that we all have areas we need to grow and do better in. This attitude I have of not appreciating things the way I should is part of what I'm focusing on now in myself. I think it's important that everyday we ask for forgiveness of our faults and try hard to improve in those areas. After all if you're just saying sorry and not trying to do better, are you really sorry? It'll take time to get better, and you'll always have room for improvement, but that's good. Because when you are focused on improving yourself it leaves less time for pointing fingers elsewhere.
      If we really want to see a difference in this world, if we really want to leave a better place for our children than we need to start with being better people. We need to start loving each other the way we were commanded too(John 13:34). We need to start helping each other and lifting one another up, not trampling them under our feet. I realize it's easier said than done but I also realize its worth it, it's worth it to try to live better and happier. Because, quite honestly, when you stop chasing happiness in possessions, when you start being grateful for what you have and start really seeking the Lord to help you be a better person, you turn out to be a  happier person. Lasting happiness, true joy, is found only in a relationship with God, when you are living to please Him, you will be a better person because of it.

Matthew 25:21
His master replied, 'Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful in a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!

Colossians 3:1-4
Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated on the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you will also appear with him in glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment