Monday, February 23, 2015

Is God Your Treasure?

       This morning as I prayed a verse popped into my head, which really isn't unusual except that I haven't read this passage recently and it had nothing to with what I was praying. I was thanking God for the weekend rest and asking for His help and guidance to get through this week in a way that both honored and reflected Him when I heard these words in my mind "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." (Matthew 6:21; Luke 12:34) I knew without checking that the verse before this one talked about storing up treasures in heaven(Matthew 6:20; Luke 12:33) and my honest thought to this was, God I don't need treasures, here or there, I would be satisfied to just sit at your feet, to see your face and hear you speak, that is the only treasure I desire. 
       I am not sharing this to brag on myself or make myself look good to any of you, I am sharing this to ask you, what is your treasure? When you read that passage mentioned above, what is motivating your heart? Does you mind go to storehouses of gold and silver? Does it go to glory, to you being exalted before others? Does it go to mansions? Does it go to having all of your heart's desires fulfilled? Or like me, do you find yourself dismissive of those things and desiring only to see the face of your King?
       I ask you this because I want you to check your hearts, who are you really serving with your thoughts and actions? Where is your true motivation for what you are doing? Are you deceived into believing that you are serving God when really your motivation is money and glory? A few verses after the first one mentioned Jesus tells us “No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money." (Matthew 6:24)  So I ask who is your master? Who is your heart devoted too?
       Brothers and sisters in Jesus, I do not ask you these things to upset you or offend you, I ask because we love you. I ask because the clock is ticking. It is time to get right NOW, check your hearts and honestly examine your motivations. Why are you doing what you are? Is it out of love and admiration for God, or what He can give you? Are you serving Him because of what He has already done for you, or because you don't want to go to hell? God tells us we are to seek Him  with ALL our heart, mind, and soul, (Deuteronomy 6:5; Proverbs 8:17; Jeremiah 29:12-13; Matthew 7:7-8) He is too be our greatest desire! To deny that truth is to be a fool. So I ask today that you do what is hard and often painful and really look at your heart motivations. Is God your treasure?

Deuteronomy 10:12
And now, Israel, what does the LORD your God ask of you but to fear the LORD your God, to walk in obedience to him, to love him, to serve the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul,

Psalm 119:2
Blessed are those who keep his statutes and seek him with all their heart--


John 4:23        
But the hour is coming, and is now here, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father is seeking such people to worship him.            

Colossians 3:1-2
1 Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. 2 Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things
           

No comments:

Post a Comment