Monday, February 2, 2015

Mourning to Miracle

       Out of sadness and tragedy there are often little blessings that we never expected and can often overlook. Last week my heart broke for my best friend from childhood who lost his father to a sudden massive heart attack. I knew his father almost my entire life, but was never close to him, I was still very saddened though by his sudden death and felt deeply for his wife who I've always loved. My heart broke for my best friend and his little brother that I have always loved like my own brothers, but in midst of all the grieving God choose to bless me and gave me some mercies, which I am incredibly thankful for and didn't expect.
       A long while back I wrote about a friend whose friendship had been a treasure that I didn't appreciate, I wrote about how I made some bad choices and lost their friendship because of it. I had mentioned in that post that we tried to get back together and talk, but things were awkward and uncomfortable, and then sometime after that they had blocked me from their Facebook.
       I realize that these two different subjects don't look like on the surface that they go together, but the truth is that through this tragedy the wounds from the second description of events is healing. See, my best male friend who lost his father was also very close to this other friend, the three of us hung out a lot, she and I were said to be connected at the hip, and he, after a bit of work and encouragement on my side, eventually started dating her, their relationship lasted three years. This is where everything starts to come together, because again the three of us were all together. The amazing thing was that despite the feelings of sadness and all the hurt we had caused each other over the last 7 or 8 years, none of it seemed to matter. We talked, laughed, and teased each other like time hadn't changed a thing, but it really had because even in our jest there was a certain maturity to each of us that we had previously lacked. We talked quite a bit about different things in our lives, and my female friend actually ended up driving me home since I still didn't have my car, which worked out great! My lack of car gave her and I more time to talk privately. We continued to talk on and off the rest of the evening via Facebook, and even exchanged phone numbers again.
       I never expected to have her in my life again, I had given up on it. I still prayed for her, still wished good for her life, but I had long since accepted the fact that I blew it, that I had screwed things up beyond repair. Now, however, I feel like there may be hope, that maybe with time, patience, and effort that things between us can be good again, I  don't expect it to ever go back to what it was, it couldn't because we are different people and our lives are different now. But I honestly can't help feeling that in midst of tragedy, in the midst of my car frustrations, and other worries that God worked a miracle for me, that He gave me the second chance I really wanted but didn't feel deserving of.
       It's hard to believe that anything good comes out of death, but oftentimes there miracles taking place amongst the mourning that others will never know about. There's grudges forgotten, healing started, maturing in some as they step up to take over responsibilities, forgiveness in others, and a reminder how short life is. Today I am grateful that there was mercy in my mourning, and that in spite of tragedy healing was beginning. This is where I want to close today, but first I want to ask all those reading this to please pray for my friend who lost his dad, this next year is going to be hard, and would be for anyone, but he has a few extra challenges to make it tougher on him, as he is expecting his first child in July and is a recovering addict with only a couple of months under his belt. I truly appreciate your time in reading this and your prayers, be blessed.

Psalm 22:24 
For he has not despised or scorned the suffering of the afflicted one; he has not hidden his face from him but has listened to his cry for help.

Psalm 34:18 
The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.

Lamentations 3:31-33 
For no one is cast off by the Lord forever.  Though he brings grief, he will show compassion, so great is his unfailing love.  For he does not willingly bring affliction or grief to anyone.

2 Corinthians 1:3-5
Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort,  who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God. For just as we share abundantly in the sufferings of Christ, so also our comfort abounds through Christ.

1 Peter 5:6-7 
Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time.  Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.                    

No comments:

Post a Comment