Thursday, January 29, 2015

3 Forms of God's Comfort

       Right now my life feels like a storm, like the winds of destruction are blowing all around me and that at any moment I might crumble under it's force. And while I might have an emotional break down or two I won't let my circumstances distract me from God, or cause me to turn my back on Him. God's taken me too far and I've experienced too much to doubt Him now. I have been stressed and struggling with all the problems and sorrow I am dealing with but I am finding comfort in the Lord, and on His word I will rest.
       This experience has reminded that not so long ago someone said to me that God can't comfort someone, that because they have not been hugged by God that they didn't believe that God could comfort anyone. I felt bad for this person because I don't think they are able to recognize that God has and does comfort us when we are hurting in many ways, and that's what I would like to share today. I doubt it is possible to write about all the ways God comforts us, but I hope through sharing some that I have experienced it helps you to recognize the Lord's comfort in your own life, because I don't want any of you to lose your soul or your hope over lies like the Lord doesn't comfort His children.
          Probably the most overlooked or unrecognized way God comforts us is by sending others into our path, people who do hug us whether it be by their physical arms or the comfort in their words. Of course, to some, you will look at what I just said and respond with something similar to this "That's not God, God had nothing to with it, that's just people being compassionate." And my response is this, compassion comes out of love, God is love (1 John 4:8) and if God can cause people's heart to be hardened as He did with Pharaoh (Exodus 9:12), what makes you think He can't or won't pour out His love and comfort for you through someone else? The compassion you feel from others is God's mercy and comfort, we have just been taught not to look at it like that.
       The second way God comforts us in these hard times is by provision, this is one that I have seen played out in my life and others so many times! His comfort here comes usually in the form of resolution, and it is oftentimes either unexpected or brought about in an unexpected way. I have often heard people credit this to chance, or luck, I used to also before I started reading the word and actually studying it. As I became more educated on the word I started to see how God worked out all these situations by touching the hearts of the right people at the right time, how He urges us from within to be instruments of provision and mercy. This is how He provides for us thru others, He moves their heart to take action.
      A third way, and probably in my opinion, one of the best ways is through His word. I can always find the comfort I need in the pages of the Bible. There are so many stories of God's victories and glory, stories or verses that remind us of His strength, His great love for us, His compassion, mercy, and that everything, no matter how much it hurts will only work toward the good of His children. These reminders make it easier to step back from the situation and say, "Yes I am hurting, but trusting God means I need to trust His word, and His word tells me that He is with me and He will handle this, all I have to do is trust and stay obedient."
       I know there are other ways and things He uses to comfort us too, like music, or a sudden inner feeling of love and clarity during prayer, Christian films, sermons, and sometimes it is just getting time to ourselves to deal with ourselves. And I'm sure there are other ways I have yet to experience, but today I just wanted to talk about those specific three because I think it's important that we recognize God in our lives, what He does, and how He communicates with us, because, then when trouble comes, and it certainly will, you can stay planted in the Lord and not be the seed that fell on rocky soil (Matthew 13:5). Be blessed.

1 King's 19:1-9
1 Now Ahab told Jezebel everything Elijah had done and how he had killed all the prophets with the sword. 2 So Jezebel sent a messenger to Elijah to say, “May the gods deal with me, be it ever so severely, if by this time tomorrow I do not make your life like that of one of them.”
3 Elijah was afraid and ran for his life. When he came to Beersheba in Judah, he left his servant there, 4 while he himself went a day’s journey into the wilderness. He came to a broom bush, sat down under it and prayed that he might die. “I have had enough, Lord,” he said. “Take my life; I am no better than my ancestors.” 5 Then he lay down under the bush and fell asleep.
All at once an angel touched him and said, “Get up and eat.” 6 He looked around, and there by his head was some bread baked over hot coals, and a jar of water. He ate and drank and then lay down again.
7 The angel of the Lord came back a second time and touched him and said, “Get up and eat, for the journey is too much for you.” 8 So he got up and ate and drank. Strengthened by that food, he traveled forty days and forty nights until he reached Horeb, the mountain of God. 9 There he went into a cave and spent the night.

Psalm 119:49-51        
Remember your word to your servant, in which you have made me hope. This is my comfort in my affliction, that your promise gives me life. The insolent utterly deride me, but I do not turn away from your law.

John 16:22        
So also you have sorrow now, but I will see you again, and your hearts will rejoice, and no one will take your joy from you.

Romans 8:26-30
26 In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans. 27 And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for God’s people in accordance with the will of God.
28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. 29 For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters. 30 And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.

                        

No comments:

Post a Comment