Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Shake the Dust off Your Feet

      Maybe I'm wrong but I don't argue my faith, I won't be pressured into a debate with those who comment on my blog post or any other post against Christianity, not because I can't but why should I let them distract me from my purpose? I am not here to argue or prove that I am right, I don't have to, I know that Jesus Christ is who He claimed to be, I know He is the son of God, I'm not here to prove it, He already did that. I am here only to prove that He does change lives, to testify about what a close relationship with God will do in you if you surrender completely, I'm here to encourage those who are struggling with their faith, I'm here to try to answer some questions and help guide those who are questioning, those who feel drawn to Him.
       I know that other Christians would not agree with my behavior on this matter, some are always ready to battle, to prove that Jesus is right and the other person is wrong, and if that is what God has called you to do, be blessed and victorious in it! But that's not my calling, that's not behavior He wants me to engage in. When these occurrences happen I'm always reminded of what Jesus told his disciples in Matthew 10:14 as He sent them out among the Jews calling to the lost children of Israel, "Whoever does not receive you, nor heed your words, as you go out of that house or that city, shake the dust off your feet."
       Now, I was told that this was an insult in those days, but because I was not there, and I have yet to come across anything that has agreed or disagreed with what that person said I cannot comment on that. But I can tell you that when I read that verse in context and how it compares the city that won't hear to the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah, saying that it will have been more bearable in those cities than for the one unwilling to hear God's message on the day of judgment, it strengthens me to move past those comments, to give it to God and stay focused on those who are hearing, those who are seeking Him and need encouragement for their walk.
       This brings me back to something I wrote about the other day, letting the Lord fight your battles for you. And I suppose, that is in a sense what I am doing, and that's certainly what the disciples were told to do in this passage. They were instructed to move on to those who would hear, and not worry about those who wouldn't because God would deal with them later. I am not saying that everyone should react like me to those who come at them because they are speaking out for Jesus; what I am trying to say is don't feel like you have to respond in order to be serving God, some of us aren't warriors, and that is okay.
       I wrote this today for a couple reasons, one being that it's been on my mind for a while now, second because one of those situations happened today, and third, because I used to feel really bad about not engaging in these verbal disputes. I used to feel it meant I was bad follower because I didn't engage in them, that those believers who did battle were more true to their faith than I. But God has been showing me through His word and other situations like what I wrote about a few days ago that it's just fine that I turn the other cheek, that's what He wants from me, God wants to know by my actions that I trust Him enough let go and allow Him to work it all out in the end. So don't be tricked into believing that you must fight and argue every person who disagrees with you about Jesus, or that you shouldn't engage at all ever and you have to turn the other cheek all the time to represent Him, both are fine, both are good so long as you are obedient to God in what you are doing, so pray about it and find out where your calling leads you.

Psalm 119:157        
Many are my persecutors and my adversaries, but I do not swerve from your testimonies.

Proverbs 29:27        
An unjust man is an abomination to the righteous, but one whose way is straight is an abomination to the wicked.

Luke 10:11
Even the dust of your town we wipe from our feet as a warning to you. Yet be sure of this: The kingdom of God has come near.

John 15:18-25
18 “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. 19 If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you. 20 Remember what I told you: ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also. If they obeyed my teaching, they will obey yours also. 21 They will treat you this way because of my name, for they do not know the one who sent me. 22 If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not be guilty of sin; but now they have no excuse for their sin. 23 Whoever hates me hates my Father as well. 24 If I had not done among them the works no one else did, they would not be guilty of sin. As it is, they have seen, and yet they have hated both me and my Father. 25 But this is to fulfill what is written in their Law: ‘They hated me without reason.’

No comments:

Post a Comment