Monday, January 12, 2015

He Sustains Us Still

       Don't expect everything God asks you to do, to make sense. Often He will ask us do things outside of our comfort zone, things that are awkward for us to do, or make us uncomfortable, or just plain makes no sense to us. Sometimes it's putting yourself out there in a away you're not used to, like being led to pray with a stranger who you see crying or upset. It may be spending a few minutes talking to someone who looks lonely at school or at the store. It could be reaching out to others for help and advice. Or it could be doing something you've never done before, something that you were told was impossible for you.
       Today I want to share with you a testimony that happened to me this past week, but first I need to give you a little background information. When I was about 16 I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia after having spent the previous almost 6 months blacking out on a regular basis.  Hypoglycemia, for those who are unfamiliar with the condition means I suffer from low blood sugar, and if I go too long without eating I get sick, sometimes I will pass out from it. Because of this health condition I have to be very careful about what I eat, and how often.
       Last week I suggested to a group of prayer warriors that we fast and pray together on that Friday. I typically do a type of fasting where I am able to eat some specific foods and abstain from the rest so that I am not getting sick while working or driving. As the day of fasting approached though, more and more I felt like I had to do an all water fast. My mind argued against that idea, reminding me of all the dangers, but my heart was persistent that I should do the water fast and that I would be okay. I knew the risk, but really felt that this was what the Lord wanted, so I prayed for clarity.
       Then Friday came and I stepped out in faith, doing what seemed totally irrational, what I was told I could not and should not ever do because of my health condition. I went through the day filling my mind and heart with the word, playing worship music, and praising and praying. By Friday night, I felt great. I had no headaches, no stomach pains, and made it through the day without once feeling like I was sick or that I might pass out! In fact I felt so good, that I continued to fast until noon the next day!
       I truly feel as though I was sustained by God's grace, and when I thought of that I was reminded of a scripture, Matthew 4:4 which reads "Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.' ”  This was one of the responses Jesus had to Satan when he fasted in the wildernesses for forty days and was tempted, and while it may not have been Satan telling me that I could not fast without foods, my response was much the same in the actions I took, by choosing to fill myself with spiritual bread instead of relying on food. I trusted God and was obedient to the urging He placed in my heart, and because of that I can now say without any doubts that God's grace is sufficient. He can see us through if we faith and lean on Jesus.

Deuteronomy 8:3
He humbled you, causing you to hunger and then feeding you with manna, which neither you nor your ancestors had known, to teach you that man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of the LORD.

Job 23:12        
I have not departed from the commandment of his lips; I have treasured the words of his mouth more than my portion of food.

John 6:50-58
This is the bread that comes down from heaven, so that one may eat of it and not die. I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever. And the bread that I will give for the life of the world is my flesh.” The Jews then disputed among themselves, saying, “How can this man give us his flesh to eat?” So Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day. For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in them. Just as the living Father sent me and I live because of the Father, so the one who feeds on me will live because of me. This is the bread that came down from heaven. Your ancestors ate manna and died, but whoever feeds on this bread will live forever.”
    
1 Corinthians 10:17        
Because there is one bread, we who are many are one body, for we all partake of the one bread.      

No comments:

Post a Comment