Thursday, January 15, 2015

Battling Against my Flesh

        All morning long I have seen post, received messages, and got sent a sermon all saying at some point or in some way  'God is working it out,' each in some way has reminded me to trust. I have smiled and praised at each, but the day has been trying honestly. Despite those reminders it seems like everything that is going on around me has been designed to try my nerves or distract me, it seems like everything is trying to get me to blow my cool today. But I made a decision early this morning to stay focused on Jesus, I decided early that no matter what came my way today this is the day the Lord has made and I will rejoice in it! With the help of those encouraging words, playing an audio bible and listening to worship music I have been able to keep calm and rejoice so far, but it hasn't been easy, and there is still more day ahead of me.
       Days like this it feels like I'm doing battle, and essentially I am. I am battling my flesh to stay in the spirit. My flesh wants to be upset all day that I'm sick and not sleeping well, that the children I care for are sick and grumpy too, my flesh wants to be angry at them for the crying and the clinging, and the fussiness, but my spirit wants to comfort them and seek comfort myself in the Lord. My spirit says to be loving, understanding and gentle. My flesh says 'I should have stayed at home, in bed so I wouldn't have to deal with this.'
       I know I am not alone in this struggle, we all must struggle to submit our flesh desires to that of God and His desires for us. We all have this internal conflict going on inside of us, it is probably not the exact situation I am in, but everyone who has committed themselves to Christ knows that this is true. Everyone who has ever committed themselves to God has experienced the struggle of making yourself do the right thing when it would be so much easier not to.
       As I struggle through being sick and trying to put the children's needs and wants before my own wants I keep remembering the messages I got this morning before the day got so stressful, 'God is working it out.'  As I think about those words I find so much comfort in them, I know that these words are true, I know God always fulfills His promises, and I know that if I believe in Him then I can trust that I have the spiritual strength through Him to overcome today, all I have go do is ask and press forward in the spirit.
       I hope if you're struggling too, I hop I was somehow able to encourage you. I hope that by sharing my weakness you can come to see how God can make us strong. I hope when you read this today that you were encouraged to rely more on Jesus, and less on yourself.

Psalm 18:39        
For you equipped me with strength for the battle; you made those who rise against me sink under me.

Isaiah 54:17        
No weapon that is fashioned against you shall succeed, and you shall confute every tongue that rises against you in judgment. This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord and their vindication from me, declares the Lord.”

James 4:7        
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.  

Galatians 5:16-17
So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want.               

No comments:

Post a Comment