Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Finding Purpose

       Recently I was talking with someone who has been extremely frustrated by trying to find their path in life. They have spent years looking to everyone else in their life for direction and approval, and now this person feels lost, unsatisfied, and frustrated by not knowing where to turn next as everything they tried previously has fallen through. They asked my opinion on what I thought they should do next in their life, my answer was simple, get in the word, and stop looking to the world for direction.
       After staring at me kind of blankly for a moment, they asked how that was supposed to make them happy and successful, how it would cause them to be remembered after death and leave a legacy, so I asked them why it mattered, why did it matter to leave a legacy when you're dead and it won't matter to you anymore? Why does it matter to be successful by the world's standards when you can't take all that money with you in the afterlife? This person really didn't have an answer for this, so I continued talking. I asked them where trying to do it on their own had gotten them, where did doing what the world and other individuals said to do had gotten them? I said I can tell you right now what I think you should do for a career, what you should focus on next, but seriously does it matter, would it make you happy? Probably not, because it didn't come from within. I told this person to stop chasing after chaos, stop looking outside at everybody else and trying to figure what they should be doing by what the world is doing.  I told this person that true lasting happiness can only be found in a surrendered heart, and to find their direction in life they had to start looking within and to God.
       I gave this advice from experience, I thought I knew the direction my life should go or would go, and although I wasn't always happy about it, I accepted it because at least I was doing something. After I surrendered myself to Christ though, when I let go of myself and gave up on my religious ideas and started to rely solely on what He taught and what He is still teaching to those who have ears to hear, my life took a different turn. It wasn't a right away thing, it took time, I had to draw near to Him and make time for Jesus and the word everyday. But eventually my life purpose became clear, I am a writer pointing others to Christ not because I set out to do this, but because I was meant to do this. I wanted to use this blog to share my books and gain attention for my fictional writing, but God had other plans and changed my heart accordingly.
       Now I am fulfilled and not happy, but joyful! I am excited everyday to do this, to write and learn more about God as I do it, to talk to, help and inspire others. I get to touch other's hearts and be of service to others and God! It's not about fame, it's not about money, it's all about Jesus! Until you are right with God nothing else in life will make you happy in a lasting or meaningful way, and as you grow closer to God He will reveal His purpose for you, to you.

Psalm 1:1-3
Blessed is the one
who does not walk in step with the wicked
or stand in the way that sinners take
or sit in the company of mockers,
but whose delight is in the law of the Lord,
and who meditates on his law day and night.
That person is like a tree planted by streams of water,
which yields its fruit in season
and whose leaf does not wither—
whatever they do prospers.

Proverbs 19:21        
Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the Lord that will stand.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.

Ephesians 2:10        
For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.
           
1 John 5:4        
For everyone who has been born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith.      

No comments:

Post a Comment