Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Perfect Love Cast Out Fear

       The Bible tells us that perfect love cast out all fear (1 John 4:18) but what does that mean? What does that look like? I got asked those very questions yesterday, just as I put it forward to you, and I would like to share with you the response I gave this person, and some instances from my own life that might help to better understand what it might look like as you go through the process of casting out fear. I know its not the same for everyone, and some people may disagree with some of this, but this is what I have learned from my experience and I am hoping sharing this encourages someone else.
       First, you have to understand that love or perfect love, is God (1 John 4:8), there is no love outside of Him because love is Him. This is the basis of learning to overcome fear, you must draw near to God to push fear out of your life. The Bible says to draw near to God and the devil will flee from you(James 4:7-8), and fear is one of his biggest weapons.
       Second, you have to learn to trust in that love, you have to learn to trust that what God says He can do for you, He can and will do. For me this learning to trust Him started to take place as I started to read the Old Testament Bible stories. Why the Old Testament?  Because without a solid understanding of the promises God made to His people in the first place and why He had to send Christ my understanding of how Jesus actually fulfilled God's promises was lacking, this lacking of understanding made it difficult to believe that what looked impossible was possible with God. I couldn't see how God brought everything to completion, or where Israel fell off course. After reading the Old Testament I was able to better understand how God brings everything to completion, I saw time and again in the scriptures where if He said He would do it, He did it, including His punishments of the wicked. This built my confidence in the Lord and I started to believe what the Bible says about 'if God is with you who can stand you?' (Romans 8:31; Psalm 118:6; Isaiah 8:10), I started to really trust that even if it took years or generations to happen, it will happen if God said it.
       Those verses I put in parentheses above are the third part of the journey I went on to learn how to cast out fear. These verses became my mantras, I said them everyday in every situation. I constantly reminded myself that what is impossible with man is possible with God and that nothing could stop me from fulfilling the purpose God had created me for. As I saw these verses working in the small and encouraging me when I wanted to give up I became more brave, because if God can do it in the small, He can do it in the large. I started to take chances that I had previously been afraid to take, like writing about God and writing a book because I realized that if this is what I was blessed to do that no amount of nay saying or opposition could stop it from doing exactly what God wanted, all I had to do was listen for His voice of inspiration and obey.
        This all together, over about two-two and half years got me to place where I am no longer afraid to take chances, I no longer worry about the future. I just trust that God is faithful. I just trust that His purpose will prevail in all cases, and even if what is happening is awful, stressful, or feels hopeless I trust that God will work it all out for the best just as He promised (Romans 8:28). This is what perfect love casting out fear looks like, it is absolute trust in God and His word, once you can fully depend on Him and trust on Him, you have no reason to be afraid anymore. Draw near to God and the devil will flee from you. Be blessed brothers and sisters.

Deuteronomy 20:1
When you go to war against your enemies and see horses and chariots and an army greater than yours, do not be afraid of them, because the LORD your God, who brought you up out of Egypt, will be with you.

Psalm 23:4
Even though I walk
through the darkest valley,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.

Psalm 16:8
I keep my eyes always on the LORD. With him at my right hand, I will not be shaken.

Ephesians 6:11
Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes.

2 Timothy 1:7
For God has not given us a spirit of timidity, but of power and love and discipline.   

No comments:

Post a Comment