Wednesday, January 14, 2015

God Works in Mysterious Ways

       People often say "God works in mysterious ways," I think that's partly because in Isaiah 55:8 it says "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” and partly because if you have given your whole heart to God and accepted Jesus as your Lord and Savior some pretty amazing 'coincidences' start to happen in your life. An example of that happened with me today. This morning I woke up thinking about an encouraging verse it is not one that I read yesterday, or too recently that I can remember, but it was exactly what I needed to help keep me on the right track today. The verse was Psalm 118:24 "This is the day that the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it." I'm sure most have heard or seen this verse at some time or another as it is a pretty popular one, but again, today for me, it was exactly what I needed. Because of this verse despite everything that isn't how I would like it to be, I am still glad, I am still praising God.
       It has been a long exhausting week for me as I struggle against a bad cold that has been keeping me up at nights coughing and congested, and unfortunately the children I care for have it too, they actually gave it to me. This has lead to a trying week that is barely half way over as I deal with 2 cranky sick babies, and my own crankiness from being sick. This week, needless to say, has not been my finest performance as a caregiver due to all of our attitudes needing adjusting. This is where that verse comes in.
       Today, each time I started to feel like the frustration and crankiness was going to get the better of me I remembered that verse, and how good I felt this morning as I thought about  it and said the verse to myself. As I did, the frustration melted away and I was able to do what I love and what I should without the crummy attitude. Because I woke up with this bit of encouragement on my heart I have been able to do today better than yesterday, despite actually feeling worse.
       The lesson I got from this experience is that God knew what I would need before I did. He heard my repentance from my crummy attitude the day before and my plea for His help; and He provided. He knew today was going to be hard again, and woke me up with a word to focus me on Him. He woke me up today with a reminder that He created today and wants me to rejoice at His creation. He woke me up with words to encourage me to be joyful, despite the way I feel. He woke me up with words that have kept my bad attitude in check. God works in mysterious ways, yes He does, mysterious and wonderful as He molds us a little more each day to reflect Christ and strip away our sinful nature.

Exodus 15:11
Who among the gods
is like you, Lord?
Who is like you—
majestic in holiness,
awesome in glory,
working wonders?

Psalm 40:5
Many, Lord my God,
are the wonders you have done,
the things you planned for us.
None can compare with you;
were I to speak and tell of your deeds,
they would be too many to declare.        
            

No comments:

Post a Comment