Monday, March 21, 2016

Keeping Joy in The Lord

      Since finding out we are pregnant a month ago it has seemed that every week since has brought more and more distressing, upsetting, or disappointing news. This kind of thing is a pattern that I recognized early on as a child, good news or good events being quickly followed by the opposite. When I was a child this recognition of good followed by bad led me into blaming God for the bad and forgetting the good, because of this I became ungrateful for the good and eventually afraid of being happy at all. I expected bad at every turn, and sometimes even felt relieved when it did happen. I started to see God as hateful and unloving over time, I thought He got some kind of sick twisted pleasure from hurting us and stealing our joy, but maturity in life and spiritual growth has taught me otherwise.
       Now, despite all the negative news we have gotten lately (no job after the baby comes, trouble finding a way to afford prenatal healthcare, car repairs, owing the government money, my husband's bosses trying to jip him out of pay and worry over the poor choices my brother is making) I'm still holding onto my joy, and am still grateful for the life growing inside of me and the easy pregnancy that I have had so far. I know now that God isn't in our lives to steal, kill or destroy, that God doesn't want my focus or gratitude to leave Him, but the devil does.
        Several years ago, a month like we've had after such good news would have destroyed me. I would have been left in a panic, angry and bitter at God, but knowledge of His word and character have changed that for me. Because I know all good things come from God (James 1:17; & Matthew 7:11) and that the devil comes to steal, kill, and destroy (John 10:10) I am able to look at this situation and know that while it isn't comfortable, if I trust God it'll all be okay. Because of a much stronger faith in Yeshua and a better understanding of God, I know that I will walk through all of this and be okay. I know that all this negativity can be used for the greater good and God's glory in the end if submitted to Him.
       Today despite what you may be facing I ask you to remember God's character and what the word teaches us about Him, remember that God does not seek our harm but the fulfillment of the potential He gave us. Remember the enemy's goal, and realize that those things that feel like they are stealing your joy can only do that if you allow it. Satan has no power over us that we don't hand him, and when we turn our focus even more to the Lord and joy, we keep that power away from him. You are children of the Most High God my brothers, and sisters, and He loves us, that should continually be our focus, continually be our joy, and when it is, there is always a reason to rejoice and have hope. Be blessed.

Proverbs 3:5-6
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.

Isaiah 26:4
Trust in the LORD forever, for the LORD, the LORD himself, is the Rock eternal

Romans 15:13
Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost

James 4:7
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you

No comments:

Post a Comment