Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Rocks Cry Out

       A couple days ago when I was driving into work they played a sound bite on the morning radio show I usually listen to, the sound bite was of a comet, something that had just been released by NASA. The audio was crackling but among that you heard these clicking sounds, which they said was coming from the comet. It was completely fantastic! I thought it was so neat that God created these comets to make a sound that we, without technology, would never be able to hear, but I didn't put much more thought into than that.
       Then, yesterday a woman called into the radio show to tell the morning show people how much of an impact it had on her, because of something her 11 year old son said.  Since than I have been thinking a lot about the sound of the comet, and why God would have created it in a way to make a sound when we would never hear it, and the woman's thoughts on this.
       The woman, whose name escapes my memory, said that she and her son had been listening when they played that comet sound, and thought it was really cool. She, like myself didn't give it too much thought other than praising God about the sound because it was so neat. But her son put more thought into it. He said to her, later that day I believe but I am not certain, that there must not be enough people worshipping God if the comets are doing it. He asked her 'didn't Jesus say that if we were silent the stones would cry out, isn't the comet a stone?' She said at first she was stunned by her sons words, then she prayed to the Father that she never be so silent with her praise and worship that she be replaced by a stone.
       What her son reminded her of is Luke 19:40 ' “I tell you,” he replied, “if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out.” ' Jesus spoke those words to the Pharisees who wanted Jesus to rebuke his disciples who were worshipping him as he rode into Jerusalem, and I've been thinking about this, especially after reading the verse in the complete context this morning. 
       Here are my thoughts, and I am quite happy to read and discuss others as well. I used to read that verse as just part of the story, I never honestly gave it much thought before, and when I did I imagined cartoony rocks in my head singing Psalms if the people that day hadn't worshipped. But now I feel like that 11 year old may have a better understanding of that verse than I did. One thing I have realized about all that red print in the Bible and statements that were made by God in the Old Testament, is that they tend to not only deal with what is going on in the particular story they are found in, but are timeless statements from a God that is outside our understanding of time.  Jesus wasn't speaking about just in that moment but of now and in the future as well as more fall away, the rocks in the skies are crying out now, just as Jesus said would happen if his disciples were quiet. 
       The woman prayed that her praise and worship never be so quiet that she be replaced by a stone, and I totally get where she's coming from, and I understand now why God created rocks in the sky to make noise that no man would hear, because it was never meant for us, only because of us. We are failing to offer the praise and worship that Jesus is deserving of and because of that the rocks are supplying it. This breaks my heart to think about, because it shows the lack of the faithful in the world. I never want to be replaced by a stone, I want to sing and dance before my God, I want to praise Him always, as I hope you do too. I hope this story today made you think, and I hope you bring praise and glory to the Father today and everyday. God bless you.

Luke 19:37-40
37When he came near the place where the road goes down the Mount of Olives, the whole crowd of disciples began joyfully to praise God in loud voices for all the miracles they had seen:
38“Blessed is the king who comes in the name of the Lord!”
“Peace in heaven and glory in the highest!”
39Some of the Pharisees in the crowd said to Jesus, “Teacher, rebuke your disciples!”
40“I tell you,” he replied, “if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out.” 

Psalm 96:11-13
11Let the heavens rejoice, let the earth be glad;
let the sea resound, and all that is in it.
12Let the fields be jubilant, and everything in them;
let all the trees of the forest sing for joy.
13Let all creation rejoice before the Lord, for he comes,
he comes to judge the earth.
He will judge the world in righteousness
and the peoples in his faithfulness.
 
Joshua 24:27
"See!" he said to all the people. "This stone will be a witness against us. It has heard all the words the LORD has said to us. It will be a witness against you if you are untrue to your God."
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment