Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Comfort and Refuge

       When I'm searching for comfort because my heart is aching or the world has just been too much for me I often find myself reading Psalms. I can always find something that David, Solomon or the other Psalmist wrote so long ago that speaks to what I am experiencing or how I am feeling at that time. One Psalm that I woke up thinking about today was Psalm 61; it's only 8 verses long but it's verses 1-5 that were playing in my head this morning. It describes someone going through a seemingly terrible time and begging to be safe in the presence of the Lord.
        While I am thankfully not going through anything major right now, I can relate to how David felt, I have often been down on my knees in times of struggle begging God to feel His presence, to let me know that He was close by holding me through the storm. I love David's words in this Psalm, I love that he refers to God as his refuge and strong tower. And I really love that David doesn't ask to be removed from the struggle, just for the comfort of the Lord.
       Some people have this misconception that nothing bad will happen to good Christians, that their life is easy because they are blessed, or that if they become a Christian all of their problems will suddenly stop. But nothing could be farther from the truth. Being a Christian doesn't make life easier, in fact Jesus warns us that we will be hated, and persecuted for following him. Nowhere in the Bible does it say abiding in God's will, will make life easy and trouble free. But what we do have as Christians is the opportunity to do what David did, we have the opportunity to go before the Father and ask for His comfort and protection. That doesn't mean the struggle will end, because God often allows us to struggle and be frustrated so that we can mature in our spirit, but it means we have hope and peace in our hearts during struggles because we know and believe that God uses everything for the good of those who love Him.         

Psalm 61:1-5
1Hear my cry, O God;
listen to my prayer.
2From the ends of the earth I call to you,
I call as my heart grows faint;
lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
3For you have been my refuge,
a strong tower against the foe.
4I long to dwell in your tent forever
and take refuge in the shelter of your wings.
5For you, God, have heard my vows;
you have given me the heritage of those who fear your name.   
 
Romans 8:28
28And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.    

No comments:

Post a Comment