Wednesday, September 9, 2015

By Faith, Not By Sight

       Have you ever had anyone blindfold you and lead you into a room for a surprise? Do you remember what it felt like? How strange it is not to see and to have to depend on another person leading you to be your eyes? To have to trust someone outside yourself to lead you and to have to trust that they won't lead you into a wall, a chair, or a table, but that you will get to where they promised to take you? It's been a long time since I did this but today that's what came to mind as I read 2 Corinthians 5:7 which reads "For we walk by faith, not by sight."
       I have read that verse dozens of times before, in and out of context but never did I think of it quite like this before. Today as I read that verse I saw it with new eyes. Eyes that saw as we journey down the narrow path with Yeshua that we are in much the same position as the scenario I described above. I saw for the first time that when we walk in faith we are just simply holding onto Jesus as He leads us through and around the obstacles we didn't see to the reward at the end. And just like in the described scenario it takes trust to do this, because we can't see the way.
       This realization deepened another truth God has been helping me to see more clearly and understand, our total dependence on Him. For months now I have seen over and over in scriptures the message that seeking Him and following in His ways are the foundations for an abundant life, and this imagery I got this morning of being lead blindly by Yeshua as He leads with His sight and perfect ways made it even more clear. We are too trust Him totally. We are to allow Him to be our eyes and form our path, because on our own we are just blind, stumbling through the dark trying to make our way out, or too scared to move at all.
       Now I know some could argue or bring up the point that there are successful people in the world who don't know Jesus or have rejected Him, but the reward I mentioned in this post is not success, or wealth so pointing to someone and using that as an example to contradict the point is baseless, the reward here is Heaven, is standing in the presence of Jesus in all His Heavenly glory. That is the reward at the end of this journey for all who follow Him with their whole heart and devotion. Just because someone may look successful by the world standards doesn't mean anything. It doesn't mean that they aren't still in the dark, all it means is they stumbled their way into a comfy, cozy, jail cell that satan is just waiting to slam the door to, but even there if they would call out He would come to them and lead them into light.
       I wanted to write this today and share my thoughts about this with you because as I realize that some times it can be really frustrating walking this path and seeing only maybe a step, or none at all. I know its difficult to act some times when we don't know how it's all going to pan out, but if we really walk by faith and not by sight we will trust Him. Really walking by faith and not by sight is leaning on Him, letting Him be your strength,  be your guide and depending on the Lord to get you to the finish line. Bless you brothers and sisters, in the name of the risen Lord Yeshua!

Psalm 37:5   
Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him, and he will act.

Proverbs 3:5   
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding.

Isaiah 41:10
Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

Hebrews 11:6   
And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.
       

No comments:

Post a Comment