Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Balance the Time

       Last week I disappeared on all of you, it wasn't planned, but I'm glad I did it because today I feel great. During my unplanned time off last week my husband and I celebrated our fourth wedding anniversary and had a staycation, simply enjoying our time together at home and doing some things in the area we live we may not always get to enjoy. I had intended to only limit my time online and keep posting limited to one blog once a day, which I stuck to Monday. But then Tuesday came and I found that I couldn't fit it into the day, there was simply too much we were doing and had to get done, so I figured I'd catch up the next day. But when Wednesday came and I went to log into google, I decided that maybe I would just enjoy what I had without the extra distractions, so I left my phone off until this morning.
       I wrote all that partly as an explanation as to why I randomly disappeared for a week, and partly because I feel like with all this technology we forget to appreciate the people closest to us. That feeling or belief really that technology can so often lead us to take for granted what's really important is the reason that I stay off-line on the weekends, and will occasionally take these breaks from social media. By stepping back from social media, and turning off my notifications I can feel free from the burden of the constant beeping and buzzing of my phone, and I don't get tempted or distracted by it. When I do this I have no need or desire to check on things, because I know that it can all wait, and I am then free to enjoy the moment I have, the gift that God has given me in His beautifully crafted planet and the people He has placed in my life.
       I don't know if it's like this for everyone, but I look around and see so many people, families "together" doing things but they are all on their phones or tablets looking in different directions and not interacting. This breaks my heart. Family is so precious, and our time with them so fleeting. It seems like just yesterday I was holding my minutes old baby sister in my arms and giving her a name, it seems like yesterday I taught her to ride her bike, and brush her own hair, and now she's 15 and a freshman in high school, in the blink of an eye she grew up. I think about that and I think about our technology crazed society and it makes me so sad. We are missing out on so much by constantly feeling the need to be connected, we are missing true deep connections with our families, opportunities to build lasting moments, lessons, and memories with the people who are right there with you.
       I am not trying to bash on anyone, or make you feel bad. I understand many of us have to have our phones on for work and that we may not have a real family close by so we go online to fill that loneliness. And I can say from experience I have made some really good friends on line that I really do consider my friends, almost family, but the idea I'm trying to get across is, don't spend so much of your life online that you forget to live it. Don't spend so much time on line that you aren't fulfilling your purpose and that you aren't seeing all of God's blessings around you. Everything in moderation my friends! Phone's, tablets, and computers are great! They are convenient, fun, a good source of information and socialization, but you need to balance it with a life off line. Time with your family, friends, and most importantly God, time enjoying His presence and the love of others because this is truly important and truly refreshing. I encourage you all today to make that time, make time to log off, power down, and enjoy the simple pleasures that God has given you in your surroundings. Smell the roses and hug your children, show love to others by giving them your full attention. Give God your full attention, and all the glory. Be blessed.

Psalm 104:14-15   
You cause the grass to grow for the livestock and plants for man to cultivate, that he may bring forth food from the earth and wine to gladden the heart of man, oil to make his face shine and bread to strengthen man's heart.

Ecclesiastes 3:1
For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven

1 Corinthians 9:25   
Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable.

No comments:

Post a Comment