Monday, September 14, 2015

Help for the Homeless --- Drawing with Prizes

       Not long ago I was speaking with someone and I shared with them that there was a time in my life where I experienced having very little. I worked three jobs then and still couldn't keep up with the bills. Most days the only meal I had was toast and coffee, unless I could get a free meal at one of my jobs or church. Before this I had never really known what it was like to go without, my dad had always had a good job and provided our family with more than enough but I learned the harsh reality of being poor quickly after moving out on my own. Soon I knew what it was like to not know when you would eat next or if you would have the gas to get work, let alone home again. I experienced the dread of not knowing if you would have a place to live, or be able to pay your bills. I know the heartbreak of shut off notifications, and the frustration of literally counting pennies to buy something to eat. This wasn't an easy period of my life, but honestly I am actually grateful to have walked through this, I am grateful that I had very little for a time for a time, because now I understand that feeling in a way I never would have otherwise.
         After experiencing this my heart of compassion for those struggling in poverty grew, I wanted to help others who were dealing with what I was experiencing, but then I didn't have the means. Instead of seeing poverty as burden on society, I realized that most of these people were just looking for a hand up and not a hand out, much like myself. I gained a new perspective, a new way of thinking and a new compassion for the poor that I still carry today. It's the reason why most of the money I've made for my books has been given away, and why I'll continue to do that. It's why I carry money in my wallet set aside specifically to give to someone who needs it. And it's why I have decided that I will be collecting monetary donations for the homeless in our local tent city, from now until November. All the money raised will be kept on a gofundme account and will go to supplying the homeless with food, water, clothes, bibles, hot-hands, blankets and etc,  just in time for winter.   
     To do this though I need help, and I am asking all of you. I am asking you to look into your hearts and consider donating, any little bit helps. Then in return for your generosity you will be entered into a drawing to win prizes, where once a month until November, the two year anniversary of this blog, I will be choosing one person at random who donates at least $5 to the gofundme account to win a popular Christian artist's Cd of their choice which I will ship to your house! And in November I will be giving out two prizes, a t-shirt with my blog logo as well as a Cd! There is no limit to the number of times you can enter, so you can enter multiple times getting an entry each time. Winners will be announced on the last Monday of each month, the winner will then have three days to contact me back so I can ship the Cd or the prize will be forfeited and a new winner drawn.  I hope you will join me in giving a hand up to those in need.

To donate:
https://www.gofundme.com/da8hzc


Proverbs 19:17

Whoever is generous to the poor lends to the Lord, and he will repay him for his deed. 

 

2 Corinthians 9:7

Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. 

No comments:

Post a Comment