Friday, March 27, 2015

Humble my Heart

       When I finally made a true commitment to Jesus something that I had to learn to accept that was not easy all of the time, and still isn't at times; is that it does not matter what I think is right, what I want to be right, or what the world says is right, it only matters what God says is right. It's an easy enough thing to say you believe, easy enough to tell yourself you believe, but when you come across something in the Bible that tells you what you have been telling yourself is a lie, humbling yourself to the fact that you are wrong and He is right, is painful. No growth comes without pain though, and this is part of the process of growing closer to God, but it is certainly not one of the more enjoyable parts of a relationship with God.
       I have had this experience more than once, and I'm sure I'll have it lots more over this journey. Sometimes when this occurs I'll be doing my Bible study and end up on a passage or verse that brings me to tears, in it I will see myself and how wrong I've been, instantly becoming remorseful and repentant, praying to the Father for the strength, help, guidance and courage to change to be more like Him. Other times, I will read something that contradicts with my beliefs or what I had previously been told about God, and my pride rises. I get upset because I was wrong and I know it, but I don't want to admit it. I hate these moments because I know I am wrong but my flesh refuses to give in stubbornly rationalizing, arguing, and justifying myself. I try to make myself right and Him wrong in my heart and mind. Not gonna lie, I have ridden that merry-go-round more times than I can count, and of the two responses to discovering I'm wrong this one is not my favorite, but boy does the lesson stick.
       Inevitability though, my pride is broken and I am brought back to a humble, repentant heart asking God for forgiveness of my sin, my pride and my disobedience. I am always brought back to repentance because ultimately, in my heart and spirit I accept what the scriptures tell us, God is perfect love(1 John 4:8&18); and He can't lie so we can trust His word(Numbers 23:19; Hebrews 6:18); His ways are not our ways (Isaiah 55:18) because we see in part but the Lord knows all(1 Corinthians 13:9-10). When I am fighting God's word because of my beliefs it is these truths and my total trust in Jesus that melts away my resolve to fight Him anymore, to really believe those things means I have to submit to His Sovereignty.
       I wrote this this afternoon because many people today, many churches today want to make God wrong and the world right. They look at God's word and see that it does not condone what they are doing, or the lifestyle they live or the popular views of todays culture and say 'that can't possibly be what was meant,' or 'that was fine then but isn't relevant today' or 'the Bible is like the Constitution, its open to interpretation' or of course the worst one in my opinion 'what does it matter what the Bible says, it's just a book anyway.'  All of those responses aren't true though, they are simply comforting lies to your itching ears to soothe your bruised ego and hurt pride. The truth is that God is infallible, He is perfect and to be a Christian that is a fundamental principle and belief that automatically makes you wrong when there is a contradiction between your life, or belief and the word.  I'm closing here today, and I pray that we all recognize the truth of God's word and the importance of a humble, obedient heart. Be blessed.

Proverbs 11:2
When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with the humble is wisdom.

Proverbs 16:18
Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall.

Isaiah 66:2
All these things my hand has made, and so all these things came to be, declares the Lord. But this is the one to whom I will look: he who is humble and contrite in spirit and trembles at my word.

Luke 14:11
For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.”

Hebrews 12:11
For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.             

No comments:

Post a Comment