Tuesday, March 31, 2015

We are Brought Together for a Reason

       A few moments ago I was speaking to a brother in Christ about relationships, the beauty of how God connects us for a purpose in each others lives, some to bless us, some to teach us and some to bring about God's glory and plans from the beginning. I thought about the relationships I have now and had in the past. Each has taught me, even if it hurt, each has brought me closer to who I am now, and who I am confident in my spirit is a person who God wants me to be. Then I started to think about how this is true in Bible stories too, how even in the story of Samson and Delilah we see this is.
        When we look at the story of Samson (found in Judges 13-16) we see that at the beginning, before he was even born, there was a prophecy over Samson's life. He was to be a Nazarite, set apart for God never tasting strong drink or unclean foods, never cutting his hair, and he was supposed to begin to deliver Israel out of the Philistines hands (Judges 13:3-5). At the end of the story, after being stripped of his supernatural strength because his hair was cut; and then blinded in both eyes Samson kills more Philistines in a final action of his life than he did in his entire life(Judges 16:30). But this would not and could not have happened without Delilah's betrayal. She had to get him to confess the secret of his strength and weaken him, she had to sell him out to the Philistines so that in the end he could pull down and destroy the house that the lords and people of Philistine were in mocking him and our God, gloating over him in his present state of weakness. Without Delilah's deceitfulness, and greed Samson would not have fulfilled his destiny.
       The importance of others in our lives and the effect they have can also be seen in stories like Paul's conversion where Ananias healed Paul's eyes and baptized him into the faith after he was literally blinded by glory(Acts 9). Or those good friends who lowered the paralyzed man through the ceiling so Jesus would heal him (Mark 2:1-12). And again in even the resurrection story, Judas had to betray Christ in order for Yeshua to fulfill prophesy. Each one those stories pressed on me today the importance of connections, of people in our lives and how God is using all of us whether we know it or not to fulfill one of theses things in someone else's life and help steer each of  us to our final destination.
       Looking at my examples again and rereading what I wrote I am glad for the relationships that taught me about evil, because they have taught to be good. I am glad for those who encouraged me in seeking Jesus because they have helped me to endure, and I'm grateful for the relationships that have yet to come because they will teach me much and take me ever closer to fulfilling my purpose in the Lord. Be blessed.

Proverbs 27:17
Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another.

Ecclesiastes 4:9-12
Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil. For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow. But woe to him who is alone when he falls and has not another to lift him up! Again, if two lie together, they keep warm, but how can one keep warm alone? And though a man might prevail against one who is alone, two will withstand him—a threefold cord is not quickly broken.

Galatians 6:2
Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.

1 Peter 4:8-11
Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms. If anyone speaks, they should do so as one who speaks the very words of God. If anyone serves, they should do so with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen.               
      

No comments:

Post a Comment