Thursday, March 12, 2015

Was This the Holy Spirit? ---Question post

     Have you ever just known in your heart or in your mind that even though the situations seems terrible that everything would be okay? Have you ever experienced complete inner calm despite the chaos of the situation around you? Do you know what it's like to have peace in the storm? I have had this experience overwhelmingly three times in my life, once when my younger brother went into a seizure at a clinic where I had taken him to get looked at for a cold, once as my boss told me I had to take some time off after I had a total of 3 emotional breakdowns at work in one week, and a third time more recently when I had to rush my aunt to hospital because I wasn't waiting on an ambulance.
       In each circumstance while the situation was not comfortable and panic would not have been uncommon (at least in two situations panic wouldn't have been uncommon the other situation was just uncomfortable) I somehow kept my cool and did exactly what I needed too. I somehow knew without ever being in the situation before what I should do. I can't quite explain why this is, but my guess is it was the Holy Spirit suppressing my emotions and guiding my actions.
       The day my brother had the seizure even the nurse practitioner panicked, I had to take care of him myself and tell her what to do, but I stayed calm the whole time and rode in the ambulance to the hospital with my brother when they showed up. I remember before leaving the nurse giving me a hug and saying 'you were a rock, I'm glad you were here with your brother because I panicked.' I have thought about this often. How is it that a nurse panicked in this situation and didn't know how to respond, but me who is totally untrained medically past first aid knew what to do? Honestly, I will tell you that I have no idea what to do in the situation, my brother has not had one before or since, and while I do have a cousin with epilepsy, I have never been the one to care for her or around much when she has had one. In the natural there was no reason I should have the knowledge to react as I did, but somehow in the moment it felt very natural to me. It all came easily to me like it was second nature to me, like I did that sort of thing everyday, but I couldn't tell know what you should do to care of someone in this this state. It's like I knew what to do in the moment but as soon as it was over I no longer had the knowledge. And it was the same the day I took my aunt to the hospital recently.
       Now the day at work a few years back is a little different, with this experience I was an emotional wreck. Crying, and angry with myself, hurt and broken inside. It felt like the world was crashing down around me. Then my boss left me alone for a minute while she took care of something else. Sitting alone in that room I suddenly felt this amazing peace come over me. I knew it was God, and I suddenly knew what I needed to do to get better and get through this. I knew despite being reprimanded for my emotional outburst of late and required to take time off that I could not afford, that God was working everything out, that my life was about to change for the better. And it did, I started therapy that day and two weeks later started a new job with less stress, less drama, and better pay.    
        If you haven't already noticed this really isn't so much a teaching or encouraging post so much today as me sharing my experiences, and the thought that I had that the Holy Spirit guided me in each situation. Now I know Matthew 10:19-20; Luke 12:11-12; ands Mark 13:11says that when we are brought before authorities and questioned not to worry about what we will say, that the Holy Spirit will speak for us, so oftentimes I find myself wondering, was it the Holy Spirit in these situations too? I told you my guess is yes, but I want to ask you, I want to read your thoughts, opinions with scripture, and feelings. Do you believe that at times the Holy Spirit will move you to do things or have knowledge that was previously unknown to you, just for the period necessary and why or why not?
     Thanks in advance to those who answer!

Matthew 10:18-20
18 On my account you will be brought before governors and kings as witnesses to them and to the Gentiles. 19 But when they arrest you, do not worry about what to say or how to say it. At that time you will be given what to say, 20 for it will not be you speaking, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you.                

No comments:

Post a Comment