Wednesday, March 4, 2015

There is Time To Rest

       Yesterday I took an unexpected break. I have had a lot going on in my family lately, and honestly between keeping up here, work, house work, and those issues I was starting to get overwhelmed. I was starting to feel like I was ready to break down, that everything was too much. That I am drained and tired most of the time, just wishing things would slow down just a bit so I could relax, and rest up physically, emotionally, and even spiritually. So I prayed about it yesterday, asking God for that kind of opportunity and as I did, I realized that I could take that opportunity whenever I needed, that it's okay to step back a little when I need to, that it is okay for me to take a break and just let things be for a day while I get some of the rest I so desperately need.
       I know some people may be like 'well duh, we all need to do that sometimes' and you folks are so right, but for me to recognize this before the melt down was a big step for me. Typically, I would have done my best to ignore my body's signs and signals that I needed rest, typically I would have pushed myself to continue on at the same pace as usual until I had a complete melt down and couldn't do more. Until I was so overwhelmed that I finally snapped, or collapsed under the weight of it all.
       At some point yesterday as I was praying for rest I realized that with the day off for the hearing I had to attend and only two other obligations the whole day, that yesterday was the perfect chance to take time for some self-care. Yes, I could have still gotten on here, yes I could have still posted, its not that hard to do. But I knew what I really need was to step back from it all for the day and focus on myself, focus on my relationship with God, and finding the peace I had been missing the last few days, and in certain areas of my life longer really.
       So why did I feel the need to share so much about me realizing its okay to stop and rest now and again? Because I know many others struggle with this too, I know I am not the only one who struggles with gearing down. But I also know that's not what God wants for me, I know He doesn't want us to burn ourselves out, I know He wants us to come to Him with our burdens, how do I know?  Matthew 11:28-30 in the ESV says this, "Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." See, God is saying come to me, I can give you rest, give your problems and heartache to me, follow after me and I will make the journey easier. Not that we won't run in to trouble, just that when we do Jesus can bare the load.
       This isn't the only time we are told to rest either, in Psalm 127:2 it says "It is in vain that you rise up early and go late to rest, eating the bread of anxious toil; for he gives to his beloved sleep." And of course we are literally commanded to take a day of rest as well, we are told to honor the Sabbath as a day of rest, Exodus 34:21. I shared all of that, my struggles with resting, God's desire for us to rest, and a few scriptures to back up because I want you to realize it's okay to stop every now and then. It doesn't make you selfish or a lazy person, rest is necessary and God knows that, that's why He tells us to rest in Him (Exodus 33:14).

Psalm 116:5-7
5 The Lord is gracious and righteous;
our God is full of compassion.
6 The Lord protects the unwary;
when I was brought low, he saved me.
7 Return to your rest, my soul,
for the Lord has been good to you.

Philippians 4:4-6
4 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Jeremiah 31:25        
For I will satisfy the weary soul, and every languishing soul I will replenish

1 Peter 5:7
 Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.                      

No comments:

Post a Comment