Monday, March 30, 2015

See Jesus in Your Storm

       Since about November or December my husband and I have been hit relentlessly with one stressful situation after another, one situation has a definite end in sight, but three months of the extra work load are going to be exhausting. Then there are some situations that are all up in the air, no definite end in sight, and with very little we can do to effect the outcome to any of them. There are things we need to do on our end to make sure things go the way we want for at least one of these situations but mostly even this situation is up to someone else, which is really stressful for us. Lately life has felt like all work and no play. Everyday just seems to bring more responsibility and more obligations for us to handle, and all we keep saying is 'we just want a break!'
       During all this stress though there have been some blessings too, little mercies here and there that have helped to encourage and sometimes refresh us as we push forward through this struggle. And as I write this last sentence and think back over all the struggles we've had it occurs to me, this is always God's way. In every storm or struggle I have endured, even if the Lord did not take me out of it right away He has blessed me in the storm. He has given me hope to move on, and comfort for the times I have wanted to give in.
        Not only have we encountered mercies and blessings through this though, but we have also grown and are still growing as individuals and as a couple. I can see how the struggles are refining our characters, making us stronger and more aware of our duty to each other, our families and God. We are learning to push past our breaking points; to press on when we thought we couldn't; but also that at some point we have to say 'no' too, that we can't do everything for everybody, that we have to have balance and know when to step back even just a little.
       I shared our experience and what we are learning with you today to encourage you to look at your situation, to look at the storm you're in, and ask yourself do you see Jesus in it? Have there been moments of blessing and refreshing? Moments of encouragement when you were at your weakest and wanted to give up? Can you see looking back how much you've grown and learned? Paul writes in Romans 5:3-5 "More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us." Does that passage describe your storm? Is that what God is doing in your life? And if not, could it be you're holding onto the struggle and not the Lord? That your eyes are more focused on what is going on around you, than what the Lord is producing in you? I hope and pray you see Jesus in your storm. Be blessed.

Psalm 71:20-21
You who have made me see many troubles and calamities will revive me again; from the depths of the earth you will bring me up again. You will increase my greatness and comfort me again.

Isaiah 41:10   
Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

2 Corinthians 12:8-10
8 Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. 9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

 James 1:2-4
2 Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3 because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. 4 Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. 
                        

No comments:

Post a Comment