Thursday, July 16, 2015

A Debt I Can't Repay

       This morning I want to share with you something that I thought about as I was praying. It's probably something that older more mature followers have already come too, but I wanted to share it anyway because the thought has been on my mind  and on my heart a lot lately, especially as I prepare myself for the day and think of serving my Father. This morning as I prayed I told Him "Father, I can never repay what I owe you, if you never give me another thing, I would still owe you more than my service to you can repay." As I looked over my life this morning giving God thanks I was overwhelmed by His goodness, as I thought about the sacrifice of His son on our behalf I was humbled. God has given me more than I deserve.
       The more I think about and study what is in the Bible the more I see Jesus paid a debt I can never repay. The more I see of our world, the more I see the weight of the burden He carried on that cross, the more I examine who I was and the path I almost went down, the more aware I am of how much He has done. God has shown us immeasurable mercy, and everyday that we go on is proof of it. I realize a little more each day that He has paid the price I never could and a lifetime of service to Him cannot repay what He has done and continues to do in my life.
       Today as I write this post bragging on how good He is and how I can never repay Him He blessed me again, thrice over, and I cannot even begin to understand why. But this is God's way.  I am in awe of my God and His goodness to us, though we were yet sinners He sent His son to die for us. Though I hid from Him, He sought me. Though He owes me nothing, He continues to bless me. God is magnificent, and His love for us brings me to tears, and it is His love that drives me to love others.
       I know that I can never repay my debt to God, and I am relieved to have yet found anything in the Bible that says we have to, instead God asks us to walk as He did, to love like He does, to abide in Him and form a relationship with Him. God asks not that we repay Him but that we show His love to those around us, giving freely what was given to us. God asks us to trust Him and His plan and to lean on Him in all our weaknesses. God asks that we serve Him and each other with all our hearts in truth and deed, in love and humbleness, and in mercy with grace and forgiveness. None of us can repay the sacrifice that took place on the cross, but we can show our Father gratitude for it by doing as He asked,  '15 “If you love me, keep my commands.' (John 14:15). Be blessed in the Lord brothers and sisters, and show love.

John 3:16   
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life

Acts 3:12-16
 12 When Peter saw this, he said to them: “Fellow Israelites, why does this surprise you? Why do you stare at us as if by our own power or godliness we had made this man walk? 13  The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, the God of our fathers, has glorified his servant Jesus. You handed him over to be killed, and you disowned him before Pilate, though he had decided to let him go. 14 You disowned the Holy and Righteous One and asked that a murderer be released to you. 15 You killed the author of life, but God raised him from the dead. We are witnesses of this. 16 By faith in the name of Jesus, this man whom you see and know was made strong. It is Jesus’ name and the faith that comes through him that has completely healed him, as you can all see.

1 Corinthians 16:14   
Let all that you do be done in love.


1 John 4:16   
So we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him.

No comments:

Post a Comment