Friday, July 17, 2015

Trust Him With Your Heart

       Last night my husband and I were talking about how when we got married we had no doubts, we both knew and were convinced that we were marrying the person God had set aside for us. We felt sure of what we were doing, and still, almost four years later are certain that this was right. I cannot say why my husband was so certain, he said he just knew, but I was certain because the night I took my husband to meet my family for the first time when we had just started dating, I had prayed for a sign and God answered me. I made the decision after my last relationship that I would no longer date a person just because it was what I wanted but instead I would trust my heart to the Lord.
       My relationship before my husband was not healthy to put it kindly, I was very broken when I started dating that guy, and even more broken by the end of that relationship, so when I started dating Nick I was scared of being hurt and used all over again. That night in the car on my way to pick Nick up I prayed and asked God for a sign. I asked for something that I knew could only be God's intervention, something that happened so rarely that it was unmistakable. I asked that my little sister warm up to him if he was the man I was supposed to be with, and I told God if she did not speak to him I would walk away, I was done wasting time in relationships that were not His will for me. I realize at this point some of you are scratching your head going 'what's up with the sister talking? why is that a sign?' Well the answer is my sister is a selective mute. I know what that sounds like but she is not actually silent by choice. From the time she was very little my sister has had terrible anxiety rendering her completely unable to speak around most people. At the time she met my husband she was only 8 years old and spoke to no one outside the immediate family and only two of my friends that she had known most of her life, and never to strangers or even to her teachers at school. For her to speak to him the first time they met could only be a miracle.
       It didn't take long for Nick to charm my parent's and younger brother but still I waited anxiously for my sister's reaction to him. We may have been there 40 minutes when I noticed my sister starting to move closer to him and stealing glances at him and me from where she was playing on the floor. I could tell she was taking him in, sorting through her thoughts and feelings. Shortly after that she went to her room and came back out with some things; books and a few toys too I believe but I can't remember exactly what she brought out mostly I was focused on who she was showing this stuff too. Much to my joy and surprise she brought the items to Nick, and very quietly in her nervous soft spoken voice started telling him about these things. Everyone was surprised, except Nick who had thought my sister was just shy. Later that night I explained to Nick why everyone seemed so shock that she spoke to him and I think he took it as a boost to his ego, which is fine, he should, I always say she has a better judge of character than I do.
       This situation has stayed with me in my heart, it made me confident from the start of what I was doing with Nick and where we were headed, I never doubted that he would be the man I married. God had answered me quickly and I knew without doubt. Though, to be honest the devil did try to plant fear in my mind about it, often in the first two years of dating and in the first year of marriage I would have  nightmares of Nick leaving me, saying he never loved me but then the miracle of that first dinner with my family would come to mind and always chased it away the fear before it could grow into doubt. I stood on that sign and trusted God with my heart and my relationship.
       I shared this today because one, we were talking about it last night, and two because during our conversation I realized how I should be doing this same thing with every relationship in my life. It became very clear to me that I should be asking God to show me the right people to walk with and those to depart from. I realized that what I did that night was not something to do only once but always, that had I continued doing this with my friendships as well as my dating/marriage interest that I could have spared myself a lot of pain and stress in this last year when I had to separate myself from a friendship that God did not want me to continue. Instead I had acted in the flesh, seeing only the appearances and leaned not on the knowledge of God, leading myself down a path into pain when He placed it on my heart to depart from this friendship. Now seeing the whole picture I have learned a valuable lesson, in all circumstances I must lean on His knowledge, in all situations I need to trust my heart to Him. I hope today I have encouraged you to think on this, are you trusting God in everything? Are you trusting Him to guide your relationships? Be blessed in the name of Yeshua.

Job 5:8-9
8 “But if I were you, I would appeal to God; I would lay my cause before him. 9 He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted
 
Psalm 9:10
And those who know your name put their trust in you, for you, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek you

Proverbs 3:5-6
5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart And do not lean on your own understanding. 6 In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He will make your paths straight


James 1:5   
If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him.

No comments:

Post a Comment