Wednesday, July 8, 2015

A Surprising Converstaion

       Sometimes we get unexpected opportunities to minister to people we care about, chances to point them to God when we weren't expecting it, sometimes it's an opportunity we prayed for and other times it's God just giving us a chance to do it. Literally, one of those moments just happened to me now and came about in the course of a surprising conversation with my brother. I know I don't talk about him as often as my sister and it may come as surprise to some that I have another a sibling, but this is because frankly I'm closer to my sister, we spend more time together and get along better. My brother and I fought constantly as children, sometimes just verbally, but being honest it often became physical leaving us both with our fair share of cuts and bruises. So it is not often now that we talk, I think really he and my husband speak more often. But something happened last night that shook him up and he needed to talk to someone who could help him understand, someone who would believe him and not look down on him, so he came to me.
       What happened was something that seemed supernatural, something that there was at least four other witnesses too. I know some will believe what happened when I write it out, but others won't, and that's fine; not everyone can accept these kinds of things and I'm not trying to make them accept them, I'm just sharing with you what my brother shared with me and the conversation that followed. First though I must give you a little back story. Living outside of Pittsburgh obviously we have rivers in our area, and in the summer time, especially over the holiday weekend like the 4th of July, people enjoy boating and swimming in the rivers. This is a lot of fun, it's something that I did growing up, but it can be dangerous too, you really have to be aware when you are swimming in the river especially after getting a lot of rain like we have recently because all this rainy weather can cause the currents in the river to speed up. On the surface the water can appear calm and to be moving at a normal pace, but the under currents can and have taken many lives, including the life of a friend of my brother's on July 1st of this year.
       My brother, being the kind, compassionate man he is, has been going out everyday since the young man was pulled under by one of these strong under currents and searching for the body along the banks of the rivers. It was during one of these searches that the event that left my brother questioning things happened. It was evening and getting pretty dark according to my brother, he and four others were in his group when suddenly something strange happened in the sky. They all saw a bright light open up in a beam coming down from the sky, he said it was a light brighter than anything he had before seen. From in that beam of light a cloud descended, and in it, he and one other out of the four that were with him saw the image of his deceased friend before the light and the cloud both vanished just as suddenly as they appeared. I asked my brother why the other three had not seen his friend in the cloud, and he said he thinks it was because of where they were standing, but that they had also seen the light and one had taken video of the event.
       Then he asked me the question that he had been waiting to ask as he explained the situation, he said 'Sis, do you think this was God? Was it a sign that ***** is in heaven?' I know he wanted me to say yes, and there are probably lots of people reading this who would have, heck there was a time when I would have but that isn't who I am anymore. I didn't tell him yes it was God because I don't know that, I don't know that this was from God, and I wasn't going to lie to my brother just to make him feel better. What I did do though, was explain to him that he needed to pray and ask God. That he needed to talk to God and spend time with Him. I explained to my brother that just because something looks like it is from God, doesn't make it so. I shared with him that the devil will fool people with false signs to distract and mislead. I told my brother that only one knew the truth and could reveal it to him.
       At first my brother was disappointed that I didn't answer the way he had hoped, but as we spoke more and he understood what I was saying and why, I could hear in his voice that he had cheered up. He understood that my only thoughts and motivation in my response was that he not be deceived, and because of that he not only accepted my answer but said he would follow through with it and pray about what he had seen. He also said that he was going to ask the people who were there with him to do the same and share what I had told him with them as well. I was really happy about this, and glad that my brother came to me over someone who would have just said what he wanted to hear. Which is something that has been happening more and more lately with him as it seems that he is more often texting and calling me, and always about something faith related.
       I wanted to share this story for two reasons today, one that when we pray for opportunities to minister to our family as the Lord had led me to do, He will give you the opportunity, it just may not always come in expected ways. Second, because we must remember that the enemy roams around like a lion looking for those he can devour, and that he will disguise himself as the light to accomplish those goals. That's why we must be on guard, we must take EVERYTHING to the Lord in prayer and leave the devil no room to deceive us. Stay in the Spirit, stay in the Word, and come to know the Truth, the Life, and Love of our Lord, because He will reveal all truth to us. Be blessed and be vigilant, in Jesus name.
      
John 8:44   
You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father's desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and has nothing to do with the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks out of his own character, for he is a liar and the father of lies.
2 Corinthians 11:14   
And no wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light.

Ephesians 6:10-18
10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11 Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. 12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. 14 Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15 and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16 In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17 Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
18 And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people.
 
Philippians 4:6-7
6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus
 

1 Peter 5:8   
Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.

No comments:

Post a Comment