Monday, October 12, 2015

Be Joyful in Obedience, Not Acceptance

     Sometimes doing the right thing is hard. Sometimes God asks us to do things that make us want to run and hide like Jonah, but we know from his story how that doesn't really work out. That's how I feel this morning. I feel Jonah being asked to go to Nineveh, I know what I have to do it, I know it's the right thing to do, but I'm sick with fear over having to do it. I'm afraid because I know what I have to say won't be received well, but I also know that can't let that stop me. I know I must do what the Lord has asked and I must be obedient regardless of my fears. I know that I must just rest in Him and trust Him to be my strength, I must settle myself into the peace I have in my heart over this and stay there disregarding the fear. Still though, part of me (the flesh part) wants to run and hide.
       This shouldn't really surprise me though, it seems like fear always comes whenever God asks us to do something outside our comfort zone, something that may be be hard for us. This is probably a big reason why God reminds us so often not to be afraid, but to rest in Him instead. Why He tells us thru the Word, that He is our strength. When we know these things, believe these things, and rest in the comfort of knowing God works all things out for the good of those who love Him, we can overcome the fear to do what we were asked.
       That is where I had to get to before I could act, I had to accept the reassurance and truth I found in the words I shared above and in the scriptures they came from. I am picking this back up, after I have accomplished the task I so dreaded, and I can say happily that the reassurance worked making me bold to say what I had too. Confrontation is hard for me, it is honestly something I avoid, but unfortunately I knew in this case there was no way to avoid it. No matter how tactful, kind or loving I would try to be with my words, I knew the person I had to talk too wouldn't take them that way and they didn't. Unlike the people of Nineveh who accepted the word's of Jonah, mine were rejected, but I'm not upset, because I know I have done what I should and I am experiencing God's blessings over my life in that I have peace, joy, and love in abundance, despite their harsh words and reaction.
       I decided to write this today for a couple reasons, first I was upset and needed to reassure myself to do what I needed too. Second to encourage anyone else who is struggling with something that they feel God has asked them to do outside their comfort zone. And the third reason came to me after my conversation that didn't go well, because often people get it in their heads that obedience means its all going to go well but that isn't always true and for those who are very spiritually young this can be disheartening. Sometimes when you obey you won't be met with the acceptance that Jonah's words to Nineveh produced, instead you'll be met with scorn and accusations. Then when this happens you have to dig digger into the spirit to keep from reacting in the flesh. You must continue to walk and talk in truth and love, shake the dust off your feet and move on, trusting that God has the whole situation in His very capable hands. The Bible tells us that not everyone will accept what we have to say, we know this, and we can't let bad reactions stop us from doing what we should, we must stay God focused, kingdom focused, and fight the good fight until we finally hear, "well done good and faithful servant." Be blessed brothers and sisters, trust in Yeshua!

Psalm 119:30   
I have chosen the way of faithfulness; I set your rules before me

Jeremiah 7:23   
But this command I gave them: ‘Obey my voice, and I will be your God, and you shall be my people. And walk in all the way that I command you, that it may be well with you.’

Matthew 10:14   
And if anyone will not receive you or listen to your words, shake off the dust from your feet when you leave that house or town.

Luke 10:16   
“The one who hears you hears me, and the one who rejects you rejects me, and the one who rejects me rejects him who sent me

Acts 5:29   
But Peter and the apostles answered, “We must obey God rather than men.

1 Corinthians 2:14   
The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned

No comments:

Post a Comment