Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Be Willing to Be Wrong

       The more time I am on the web, the more convinced I am that some people create their own persecution. What do I mean by this? Well, some people are completely convinced that whoever has a disagreeing opinion is wrong without being willing to hear out the other person, then they become argumentative and combative in their responses to that person. This angry disrespectful response will very often lead to them being banned or removed from communities, sometimes this will happen repeatedly, and they will begin to believe themselves persecuted because of their beliefs, entrenching them deeper into that thought pattern. This kind of behavior leaves little room to find the common ground or any possibility of agreeing to disagree, let alone opening either up to truly learn and grow from the discussion. Lately I have been seeing this a lot more of this kind of thing.
       I knew before I got online that not everyone was going to like what I have to say, I expected it.  I expected that some of the people who disagreed with me would be right and I would be wrong. I know I have a lot to learn still, and that I need to be open to correction in order to learn and grow spiritually. I knew that some of the things I believed would be challenged and would be shown to be wrong as I continued to seek God, these are things I still expect. That being said, I have talked to some people who felt very different from me. They have claimed persecution on the net for their beliefs and at first I was willing to believe that may be true. But as time went on and I got to know them, I realized it wasn't persecution they were experiencing at all, it was backlash for their disrespectful attitudes towards others.
       I am not trying to judge anyone here, mostly I am just trying to give illustration to the fact that sometimes we see what we want to see. Sometimes our pride keeps us blinded and instead of receiving correction as a chance for growth we perceive it as an attack. Instead of realizing that our behavior may have something to do with why people are turning away from us, we see it as them not being able to handle the truth...or at least our brand of it. Instead of going to God with the point of disagreement and waiting on Him to give clarification, we react on our own ideas about scripture and their meaning, often harshly due to wounded pride.
       I am not saying that the people who react this way are wrong all the time either. Sometimes they are very right. Sometimes they truly are speaking truth, but the attitude with which the message is delivered and the pride they carry, often makes their words ineffective. You can be wrong in an argument and still be right in your beliefs. What do I mean? The wrong heart, attitude, or tone in addressing someone can make you wrong because of how you act, no one listens to someone who is always shouting, or always right, someone who is puffed up with pride in their own knowledge and won't hear anyone out, this only leads to more fighting, and more arguing.
       The bible states these things about anger and harshness, Proverbs 15:1 'A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.'  Psalm 37:8 'Refrain from anger, and forsake wrath! Fret not yourself; it tends only to evil.' and  James 1:20 'For the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God.' there are many others verses I could add too and I will share a few more below, but I also want to show you what it says about kindness, love and respect for others. Proverbs 11:17  'A man who is kind benefits himself, but a cruel man hurts himself.'  Proverbs 31:26 'She opens her mouth with wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.' and 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 'Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.' I hope you meditate on this today, look at yourself and your heart, where do you fall in this? Pray to our Father and ask His wisdom and to change your heart if need be. My brothers and sisters, be blessed today and always.

Proverbs 15:18   
A hot-tempered man stirs up strife, but he who is slow to anger quiets contention.

Galatians 6:10   
So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith

Ephesians 4:26-27   
Be angry and do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger, and give no opportunity to the devil
      
Hebrews 12:14   
Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord.      

No comments:

Post a Comment