Thursday, October 1, 2015

Pray First

       I have worked as a nanny for about five years now, and before that I worked in daycare with various roles from simply being an aide or extra person to keep us ratio, to head teacher and daylight supervisor. Working with children is all I have ever really wanted to do besides writing. From the time I was 8 I knew I wanted to teach, lead, and encourage children to learn as my early elementary teachers had done for me. I feel very blessed in having had the opportunity to do this, to have gone to school for this, and to get to take part in forming the young minds of children. Teaching, and seeing them understand is one of my greatest joys in life, it's a victory that never gets old, and today I had one of those moments, nearly bringing me to tears with joy and pride when it happened.
       The children I care for are not quite two, but we have daily lessons with flashcards, read books together, sing songs, and I teach them through play and coloring their basic fine and gross motor skills. Each day I really try to help them learn and grow a little more, but not only in the things they will need for school. Proverbs 22:6 tells us "Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it," so each day I also tell them about Jesus and have recently started to teach them to pray with their parent's backing and permission. Being so young though I'm not really sure that they understand, and they aren't really able to say much of the prayer except 'Amen' which they are always very enthused about! But I do it anyway because I know with repetition they will learn and eventually understand it.
       Then this morning during the chaos of trying to finish cooking their breakfast, pouring their milk, and trying to wrangle them into their high chairs to eat, one of them surprised me. I was getting flustered and forgetting where I was in the process of the morning, as I often do, and I started to hand the boys their milk cups without having had said prayer. I had completely forgotten that we hadn't said grace and was in a rush to get them settled down so I could make their plates without the fussing, but the older twin had not forgotten. Handing his cup back to me he said "No Jenn, pray first."
       I couldn't believe my ears! Pray first! This dear sweet little boy stopped me in my tracks when he said this. I was proud of him for one remembering that we had to pray before breakfast, and two because he reminded me what I needed to do before I allowed myself to get lost and overwhelmed by the day, Jenn pray first. Usually I'm the one teaching them, but today God used this little boy to remind me of a lesson I have had to learn many times over, pray first. Before you get overwhelmed, before you get worked up, pray first. When you know something will be difficult or hectic, pray first. His simple words reached deep into my heart and I couldn't have been any happier with this child, and how God had used him to minister to me right in the moment I needed it. Be blessed.

Isaiah 65:24   
Before they call I will answer; while they are yet speaking I will hear.

Matthew 26:41   
Watch and pray that you may not enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.”

Philippians 4:6-7   
6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

1 John 3:22   
And whatever we ask we receive from him, because we keep his commandments and do what pleases him
      

No comments:

Post a Comment