Sunday, June 29, 2014

Invite

     I don't often write on Sundays, but today I feel the need to. At church this morning my pastor talked about inviting people to church, he threw out a bunch of statistics about what ways of evangelism worked best as far as getting people into church, and it was made clear inviting someone to go with you is the best way. He shared with us the story of the Samaritan woman at the well (John 4:25-42) and how after she spoke with Jesus she went out and told her friends about him.
     I was struck by one verse in particular during all this, verse 39 reads: "Many of the Samaritans from that town believed in him because of this woman's testimony, 'He told me everything I ever did.' " Her testimony was a seed, something that Jesus had done that effected her, that effect led her to share it with others, many heard her testimony and desired to hear what Jesus was saying because of it.
      Inviting people to church can be scary, you don't know how they may react. I have had people slam doors in my face, yell unkind things at me, and unfriend me on social media sites. But I have had people accept the invitation too. Sometimes not right away though. I have a friend that have invited numerous times, but it wasn't until after I started sharing with him what God has done in my life and my heart that it became a possibility that he would accept. When he finally did accept my invitation he was at one of the lowest points in his life and knew he needed the peace I have discovered in the Father.
     What am I saying? Invite, ask your friends and family to go to church, to Bible study, to youth group, and invite them into your home and hearts, share your testimony with them! Plant seeds, and water them often. My friend and I grew up going to church we knew the Bible stories, but none of that made a difference until God was made real to us, until we saw the life altering effect of a relationship with Jesus Christ.  Share your testimonies so that others may hear and desire change in themselves. Remember many Samaritans believed because of her testimony.
       What has God done for you that others may need? How has he changed your heart? Share that with your friends and family so that perhaps when you ask them to come with you, they may believe and receive healing from the Lord as well.

2 Timothy 1:6-12
6 For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands. 7 For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline. 8 So do not be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord or of me his prisoner. Rather, join with me in suffering for the gospel, by the power of God. 9 He has saved us and called us to a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time, 10 but it has now been revealed through the appearing of our Savior, Christ Jesus, who has destroyed death and has brought life and immortality to light through the gospel. 11 And of this gospel I was appointed a herald and an apostle and a teacher. 12 That is why I am suffering as I am. Yet this is no cause for shame, because I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him until that day.
          

No comments:

Post a Comment