Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Pray to Overcome

     To most people driving is fun, exciting, and relaxing, but this has never been the case for me, since the day I got my drivers license I've told people if it wasn't necessary to drive to get to work, I'd walk. I have always had anxiety about driving and find it very nerve racking to have cars speeding around me, or tailgating me. Typically when these circumstances arise, which is pretty much everyday, I talk to God, or someone else to calm my nerves so I can focus on driving instead of how I feel and what could go wrong at any given second. For a long I have been trying to teach myself to not get upset at the passing cars, and to not let their excessive speeds dictate my own level of comfort as I drive to and from work, but this hasn't always been possible. There have been times where my anxiety behind the wheel has gotten so bad that I have to pull over just to take some deep breathes and calm myself before continuing on.
      I have shared my fears and apprehensions about driving with the people around me and while they are sympathetic the only advice I have gotten is just keep driving and ignore the cars that speed around you, you'll get over this with time. To be honest though I'm not totally sure their advice is good advice or true because I have had my license for nearly a decade now and still haven't gotten past it. But for about a month now, I have been trying to take their advice and ignore the cars that race around me, tailgate me, and sometimes even honk at me to take a risk at an intersection that I'm not comfortable with.
       Then this morning something totally awesome happened with me when these things came up again! Without even trying to change my thoughts, or trying to be brave I found myself chuckling at the drivers who sped by me instead of getting anxious or angry. As I talked to God and just prayed while I was driving I began to laugh for several minutes about how these cars were all in a big hurry to stop at a red light, the same red light they would have had to stop at anyway if they weren't speeding! I have been noticing for a while now that my anxiety with driving is lessening, and I know this is most likely due to the fact that I pray for relief from it, and I talk to God as I drive, but this morning was something that I hadn't expected. While I find it is much easier to drive when I am in the Spirit because I trust in His protection, I never imagined myself chuckling at the other drivers instead of trembling in fear for my life and theirs.
     As I spend each morning in prayer on my way into work I've noticed other changes in myself too, not only is my fear lessening but so is my road rage. Now instead of going into fear then anger at the irresponsible way they are driving, I find myself trying to cover them with grace, give them the benefit of the doubt and forgive their actions, sometimes I have even prayed for them. As I write this and think about our Father I think I'm beginning to understand why Paul writes in 1Thessalonians 5:17 to 'pray continually.' I'm seeing that the more time spent in conversation with God, the less the worries and anxieties of this world can effect you. Not that things won't come up, but the more time with Him the better prepared you are to handle it, and in cases like my anxiety with driving, eventually with His help you can overcome it. Be blessed!

Psalm 56:3   
When I am afraid, I put my trust in you

Isaiah 41:10   
Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand

Philippians 4:6-7   
6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

1 Thessalonians 5:15-18
15 Make sure that nobody pays back wrong for wrong, but always strive to do what is good for each other and for everyone else. 16 Rejoice always, 17 pray continually, 18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment