Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Accountable

       I have noticed in myself and others that people tend to like to blame their problems on others. We don't want to take responsibility for our part in things, even if our part was just allowing it to go on in the first place. It's much easier to say 'they are bad and took advantage of me' than it is to say 'I was foolish and should have stopped giving them things sooner'. It is much easier to say I'm an alcoholic because my parents were, than to do the responsible thing and try to stop drinking or never begin in the first place(which I know isn't easy, but with God it can be done). It is easier to say that you are unhappy in your marriage because of your partner, than to look at the things that you could do to improve it. It is much easier to throw stones, than it is to look at the whole situation and realize we had a hand in our current circumstances, that we did make choices that led to this point. And I think this lack of personal accountability relates back to why many reject the idea of surrendering to God, even people who call themselves Christians.  
       Sometimes I think the problem people really have with following the Lord, the problem they really have with surrendering to Him, is that it means they are accountable for things in their life. They are accountable for the choices they've made and very often that means we are actually partially to blame. I think the fact that you have to crush your pride and admit you were wrong, that you can no longer hide or play the blame game with your mistakes is really hard for most people. No longer can you blame everyone else for your problems or your unhappiness, instead when you surrender you must come to God and say 'yes I did these things and they were wrong. It doesn't matter what anyone else did to me that led me to that point, I still chose to do wrong and I'm sorry, Lord. I want to do better, I want to be better, I want you, and I know I need you, I'm too weak on my own.' This crushing of pride is hard for most, but it is when we come face to face with our mistakes, taking accountability for them, that we are able to really learn from them.
       Like it or not there is always a choice, we can do right even when others are doing wrong, or follow the crowd. I am realizing as I write this some situations that I am or have done this in myself. I included myself at the top knowing I've done it in the past, but revelations about the current circumstances are new. In this situation I have used excuses and blamed the current dilemma's out come on others without accepting my part in it. I knowingly did wrong by going along with what the others wanted even though I was uncomfortable I didn't see how to avoid it though without causing more stress, so I used the excuse 'I had no choice' to justify myself. I see now how wrong and unloving this actually is to be placing the full weight of blame on someone else. I now understand why I was to write this today. It's time I take accountability in this situation, I need to admit I was part of it, that it was wrong; I could have said 'no' even if it was the hard road and I need to ask for forgiveness.
       Brothers and sisters, please don't make my mistake, don't hide or blame shift your mistakes. God already knows the truth and He's waiting on you to be honest with Him and yourself. This honesty is humbling, it's pride crushing, but there is freedom in it. There is a lifting of burden and the opportunity to do better when we look clearly at the situation and admit our involvement. There is an opportunity for growth when we do this. Be blessed.

Jeremiah 17:10
“I the Lord search the heart and test the mind, to give every man according to his ways, according to the fruit of his deeds.”

Luke 17:1-4
1 Then said he unto the disciples, It is impossible but that offences will come: but woe unto him, through whom they come! 2 It were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he cast into the sea, than that he should offend one of these little ones. 3 Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him. 4 And if he trespass against thee seven times in a day, and seven times in a day turn again to thee, saying, I repent; thou shalt forgive him.

Romans 14:10-12
10 You, then, why do you judge your brother or sister? Or why do you treat them with contempt? For we will all stand before God’s judgment seat. 11 It is written:
“ ‘As surely as I live,’ says the Lord,
‘every knee will bow before me;
every tongue will acknowledge God.’ ”
12 So then, each of us will give an account of ourselves to God.    
Hebrews 4:13
And no creature is hidden from his sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of him to whom we must give account.   

No comments:

Post a Comment