Monday, May 11, 2015

What Are You Waiting For?

        'But of that day and hour knoweth no [man], no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.' So were the words of  Yeshua at Matthew 24:36, in reference to the day of the return of the Lord. This morning I was thinking about this verse and a couple more that say something similar. I was thinking about a couple people I know who have been afraid to completely surrender to the Lord but do desire Him. And I was thinking of myself, how long I sought Him but still held onto the baggage that separated us, that kept me from fully trusting Him, and where I am now. I couldn't help thinking when I mulled over all of this, what took me so long? What was I waiting for? What are they waiting for?
       I can totally understand how scary and hard it can be to come to the cross, to lay down our burdens and just trust that God will handle it, trust that He really will forgive and love us despite the ways we have failed. To trust that He truly will provide for our needs and give us life in abundance. I understand this fear because I felt it, the doubts and skepticism, the what if I'm wrong and the world is right? And I understand the fear that comes up when you realize that change is part of the bargain, that you will be changed from the inside out, I know how scary it is to receive that revelation and wonder who you will be if you surrendered, to be afraid of that change knowing you won't live life the same, that there will be sacrifices, things you have to give up and walk away from because they have no part in God.
       I sat in church many weekends hearing the preacher's impassioned cries for repentance, hearing my heart's eager reply, knowing I truly desired to be close to Him again, that I truly wanted back what I had forfeited in favor of the world. But I was afraid of it too, and I would sit there with tears in my eyes wondering how He could possibly love me, possibly forgive me. I sat there wondering who I could be in Christ, but was afraid to take that step. I was afraid of the light, afraid to really look on my sin and see it for what it was, and what it was doing to my life. I was afraid to accept Jesus in a real way, and honestly I think it was because part of me believed the lie that I didn't deserve forgiveness or that something I had done was so bad that God wouldn't forgive me. So I held on to the things I should have been dying to. I have learned since then though, that when we walk in truth and lean on the Lord there is nothing to fear. Now I understand the gift of surrender, the freedom there in. I have traded my shame, my hurt, and my defeated, angry attitude for the Lord's beauty, for abundant joyful life, for hope and a future, for peace in the storms, and an attitude of gratitude. I have learned that surrender is a daily and necessary thing to live for Jesus, and that in this surrender the abundance of life is granted.
       We don't know how much longer we have to wait for His return, but we know it will happen because the Lord's word never returns to Him void (Isaiah 55:11), and the current state of the world testifies that the time of His return approaches. We can't say if it will be today or tomorrow or a hundred years from now, but we do know the clock is winding down and the time is growing shorter with each passing day. So I ask, do you really want to continue on this way knowing that? Do you really want to keep holding onto that sorrow and sin? Do you really want to keep hiding from God? Or are you ready to surrender? Are you ready to trade in your dirty rags for robes of white? To throw off your sin and be clothed in the glory of the Lord? He is waiting for you, what are you waiting for? Be blessed in Jesus name.

Psalm 9:10
And those who know your name put their trust in you, for you, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek you.

Proverbs 3:5-6
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.

Matthew 16:24-27
Then Jesus told his disciples, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what shall a man give in return for his soul? For the Son of Man is going to come with his angels in the glory of his Father, and then he will repay each person according to what he has done.

 1 Thessalonians 5:2
 For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night.

2 Peter 3:10
But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.

James 4:8
Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.    

No comments:

Post a Comment