Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Vulnerable to the Fruits of the Flesh

      This weekend was a good reminder to me of how much work I still have to do. How much further I have to go in my relationship with the Lord. Like most Americans, it was a busy weekend for me, lots of things to do, lots of chores to catch up on and stuff to occupy my hands and mind. Then this morning as I was praying I became heartbroken when I realized that I hadn't given God the proper attention over the weekend. That in all the flurry of activity I had let things fall to the wayside not keeping up in my devotional or spending as much time in prayer as I usually do. I didn't stay in conversation with Him throughout the day as I usually would, and worst of all I didn't notice that I had done this until I finally stopped to take my quiet time the morning.
       As I began to pray this morning I felt a distance, like something was between us. I continued to pray though not yet knowing or realizing where I had gone astray. As usual, as I stayed in prayer it became clear to me where I had fallen off course and what had happened, as well as what I needed to do to make it right again. As I thanked the Father for the weekend and the many good things that came from it and apologized for my less than ideal behavior at times, I saw how little I had actually included God in any of it and I was saddened by that. I had let a busy weekend distract me from what was, and is really important. Because of this transgression, because of this lack of attention I had given to Him I was more vulnerable to the flesh rising up which it inevitably did.
       I know I am not alone in this, we are all guilty at times of letting things or other relationships come between us and God. We are humans, we aren't perfect and we are easily distracted. This is why it is important to make God an all the time priority, and not just a sometimes priority. The scriptures tell us to pray without ceasing; to seek the wisdom and counsel of the Lord; to seek His face and His will for our lives. These instructions aren't meant to be hindrances, and in fact they are not at all, they are life support. These actions keep you in a close relationship with the Lord which is important if we are to overcome this world and enter into His glory.
       Alone we are unable to stay on the path of righteousness, alone we will stray every time. My weekend was a good example of that. Without the proper prayer support, I was moody and selfish. Without first focusing myself on the Lord and His ways, my thoughts and actions spoke of the fruits of the flesh. I was easily annoyed by everyone, and honestly couldn't think of anything past what I really wanted to do. I know that more than once I was short with people, and I was honestly pretty prideful, I caught myself often judging people in my mind and heart and I was upset by that, that's not how I typically behave anymore. But as pride often does, I was at first blinded to that fact until I sat alone with the Lord and gave Him my full attention. I walked in the flesh this weekend and it reminded me why I had turned away from that, there is little joy in it, and nothing that is soul rewarding. Only in Jesus can we have the abundant life promised, only when we abide in Him can we walk in the spirit. Be blessed and stay close to the Lord my brothers and sisters.

1 Chronicles 16:11   
Seek the Lord and his strength; seek his presence continually!
        
Psalm 1:1-2
1 Blessed is the one who does not walk in step with the wicked or stand in the way that sinners take
or sit in the company of mockers, 2 but whose delight is in the law of the Lord, and who meditates on his law day and night
 
Psalm 119:10    
With my whole heart I seek you; let me not wander from your commandments!
Galatians 5:13-21
13 You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love. 14 For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”  15 If you bite and devour each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by each other.
16 So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17 For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever  you want. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.
19 The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment