Wednesday, May 20, 2015

No Need for Revenge or Wrath

       The Lord looks at our heart, so the Word tells us in 1 Samuel 16:7, and I'm wondering this morning how different we would be if we did too. People will deceive us, trick us into seeing or believing what they want us to believe about them, we have all experienced someone like this at one point of time or another. Typically I am a pretty good judge of character and motive, I can usually see if someone is trying to use or manipulate me, but this isn't always true, without being able to see into someone's heart I have been duped before and probably will be again. That deception of character, and how to react to it, is something I am thinking about a lot right now as the character of a man I once respected becomes more clear and unflattering all the time.
       I don't want to go into details about that today though, perhaps in time I will, but right now I mostly want to talk about the fact that God knows our hearts and the hearts of those who surround us. I think it is important to realize that because, He always knows the true motives of our actions. He knows when we are walking in pride and when we are walking in love. He knows when we are selfish and when we are moved by compassion. This is important to realize because we will reap what we have sown, (Galatians 6:7-8; Job 4:8; Luke 6:38; Jeremiah 17:10 & more) and so does everyone else. I like to try to remind myself of that fact often to keep myself accountable and aware of my actions, especially when I am upset with someone or disappointed by their actions, because in that truth I am free to let the feelings go and trust them to the Lord.
       This is what I am working on now with this person, I honestly want to get in their face, yell, scream, and confront them with their deceit, manipulation, and pride but acting in anger only brings about more anger. I realize that there is nothing I gain by harboring those feelings; there is no reason or need for me to seek revenge(Romans 12:19; Deuteronomy 32:35); God will repay each of us for our actions. So, if someone does me wrong I can trust the Lord to handle it, this frees me up to focus on just loving people, and loving God(Leviticus 19:18).
       Even though I am disappointed by this previously mentioned person and their actions, I have no reason to hold on to those feelings or hold a grudge against them, the only person I would really be hurting then is myself. Holding onto to negative feelings and desires can only lead into darkness and falling off the path of righteousness, just like what happened with Saul when he held on to his jealousy over David, or when David killed Uriah to hide his adultery. They each gave in to the flesh and let these lesser desires led them off the path of righteousness; and they each were forced to deal with the consequences of that choice, Saul losing his own life, and David losing the child that was born from the adultery. I don't know about you, but personally if I am going to be paid back for actions, I rather it be in blessings than in punishment or correction, so I'm willing to let go and trust God to deal with this person.
       I hope if you have been struggling with someone who has hurt you, deceived you, or used you that you are willing to just let go and trust God. He sees our hurt, He sees our pain, and He knows our hearts. If we let go and just focus on Him, God will deal with the rest in due time, all we have to do is trust. Be blessed and take the straight path my brothers and sisters, know that it is the Lord who justifies.

Proverbs 22:8    
Whoever sows injustice will reap calamity, and the rod of his fury will fail

Jeremiah 17:10   
“I the Lord search the heart and test the mind, to give every man according to his ways, according to the fruit of his deeds.”

Luke 6:37-38
37 Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven: 38 Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again

                 
Galatians 6:7-8
7 Do not be deceived: God is not mocked, for whatever one sows, that will he also reap. 8 For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life.      

No comments:

Post a Comment