Monday, May 18, 2015

New Name

      More than ten years ago now, I was told by a secular therapist that I was seeing for depression that the cause of my deep pain and sadness was that I cared too deeply for others and that I needed to guard my heart more, I needed to put up walls to protect my fragile feelings. And I did as she said, in fact I did it so well that I went from being caring and fragile to earning myself the nickname "Ice Queen." I was brutal and heartless, especially towards my younger brother and my tormentors at school, but the lack of compassion didn't stop with them. I was mouthy and rude, I had no problem telling people 'where to go' as the expression is, and I really didn't care if I hurt the person I spoke to. The therapist's advice didn't help or heal, it didn't get me out of depression, instead it led me down an even darker path, one where rage, cruelty, and unforgivenness ruled my heart and actions.
       God did not leave me in that darkness alone though, He gave me a ray of light in my baby sister. Having to take care for her drew out my tenderness and kept me from totally giving into the pain that had quickly become wrath.  I loved my sister with all I had in me, to me she was the answer to prayer and I was grateful for her presence in my life. Then there was also my best friend at this time, a girl who insisted on dragging me to church and youth group as much as she could get me to go. These two people kept the love and light alive in me, nurturing the tiny flame that the world had nearly extinguished. But otherwise I wore my nickname like a badge of honor, using it to keep everyone else at a distance, the 'Ice Queen' became who I was. Until sometime later when God brought someone else in to my life who would help me to heal and to learn to love again, someone who would help me to see and appreciate what God was doing in my life; later I would marry that man and take his name, but this isn't the new name I want to talk about today, the new name the Lord gave me is not only 'Thorn' but in Jesus I am 'Redeemed.'
       This is nothing new with the Lord, He has given many new names when people become His, He promises us a new identity when we abide in Him and walk in His ways (Ephesians 4:21-24). He did it for Abram and Sarai, changing their names to reflect the promise over them, thru the Lord they became Abraham and Sarah (Genesis 17:5) the 'father of multitudes' and the 'mother of nations.' Thru the Lord, Jacob whose birth name means 'supplanter' became Israel 'having power with God'(Genesis 32:28), and Jesus changed the name of Simon 'God has heard' to Peter, 'the rock' (John 1:42). All of these changes were made to reflect the new person, the new life and future they had because of God working in and thru them, and this is available to you too!  
       I want you to know today that you don't have to carry around those old names anymore, you don't have to go around life as the 'loser', the 'drunk', the 'thief', the 'bum', the 'worthless' or the 'forsaken' none of those are the name by which the Lord calls you. When you come to Him with openness He will give you a new heart, a new spirit (Ezekiel 36:26), and He changes what you are called; in Yeshua you are 'redeemed', 'blessed', 'forgiven' and 'cherished.'  With Jesus in you, you are a new creation (2 Corinthians 5:17). Be blessed in Jesus name.

2 Corinthians 5:17
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.

Galatians 2:20
I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

Ephesians 4:21-24
21 when you heard about Christ and were taught in him in accordance with the truth that is in Jesus. 22 You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; 23 to be made new in the attitude of your minds; 24 and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.
             

No comments:

Post a Comment