Friday, June 26, 2015

Power in Prayer

       There is a song that Hillsong United sings, and in it is the line "I touch the sky when my knees hit the ground," and I think there is something beautiful in that line. I find encouragement and hope in it because I understand that feeling, I understand that it is those moments of prayer and vulnerability before the Lord that brings us the closest to the Father in heaven. I love the truth in that line and it resonates inside me, every time I hear that song. I find beauty in the fact that it is when we bare ourselves before the Lord being completely open with our hearts and hiding nothing from Him that we truly get to experience His presence. I love that God takes that vulnerability, that openness that we offer in genuine prayer and fills us with Himself, working and leading us from within to change our hearts and minds.
       I can not honestly tell you how many times I have gone to Him in prayer, weeping and begging Him to do something to change my circumstances, to change my husband, my mom, or whoever or whatever else I felt was causing grief in my life and He totally changed my heart towards things. The biggest example of this I can think of was when my husband was unsure if he was ready to start a family. He wanted to wait because he didn't feel ready and he was scared because he didn't have a dad growing up and didn't feel sure that he wouldn't crack under the pressure and leave too. I did not want to wait, I was ready and wanted to start trying right away, I felt like all his fears would work themselves out after the baby came and I tried everything I could to convince him to see things my way. I pushed and pushed the issue, at times telling him he was being selfish for not even trying, consequently pushing my husband away and causing a distance that I blamed Nick for also. But when I took this issue to God and begged Him to change my husbands mind, it was mine He changed in that moment.
       As I sat on my bathroom floor crying and begging to have my way, I suddenly knew I needed to stop pushing him. Suddenly I knew that without a doubt he would get there if only I were patient with him. I realized with certainty that I had been the cause of all our problems and not Nick, but until that moment my pride had blinded me from seeing it. I became repentant as the Lord opened my mind to see the truth of the situation and He convicted my heart to change. I stopped pushing after this and just praised God that each day we were one day closer to being ready to start our family, and not long after God changed my heart I started to see improvements in our relationship. It took time, and many more tearful prayers to the Father but things are better than before now and we are finally on the same page about starting a family.
       I wanted to share this with you today because I don't think we often realize what a miracle it is when God reaches into us like this and changes our whole way of thinking in a matter of seconds. I don't think we realize how much a moment in His presence can effect us. How in the simple act of genuine prayer we open ourselves up for Jesus to intercede on our behalf and set us right again. I touch the sky when my knees hit the ground because the power of prayer is His Holy Spirit taking us to new heights in the Lord, bringing us ever closer to Him as works to changes us. I touch the sky when my knees hit the ground because as I humble myself before my Father in heaven and He lifts me up from my despair, He makes me new, and is molds me in His image. Be blessed today and always.

Jeremiah 33:3   
Call to me and I will answer you, and will tell you great and hidden things that you have not known. 

Isaiah 65:24   
Before they call I will answer; while they are yet speaking I will hear.

Luke 11:9   
And I tell you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.

James 1:5   
If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him.

No comments:

Post a Comment