Thursday, August 6, 2015

A Testimony of Praise

       The day my Grandfather died almost four years ago God gave me a testimony that I haven't shared. He worked a miracle that day to make sure I got to say good-bye to my grandfather, but I seldom talk about it because of the grief that always comes with this memory. Today I finally feel strong enough to talk about what God did that day and give Him the glory He always deserved.
       The day my Grandfather was to die my husband and I were already planning on going to look at a new used car for us. I had wrecked mine sometime before and my brother had been letting me borrow his but that was no longer going to be an option. Our plans got interrupted though when my mom texted and told me that my grandfather had been taken by ambulance from the nursing home to a hospital. She told me he was ill and had been having trouble breathing, they believed it was just a respiratory infection and wanted to get him looked at. Instantly in my heart I felt like I needed to go see him.
     My mom didn't seem to think it was necessary but said if I wanted I could go and that she would be going up too as soon as she could get out of work. My husband and I then started to discuss what to do, because despite my mom's reassurance that pappy was going to be okay, I knew I had to see him. After sometime we finally decided to go look at the car, then make a trip to the hospital if we still had time, my husband promised, if not that day than the next, after all my mom said he was going to be okay. On our way to go see the car though, the car we were driving started to smoke and stalled out on the side of the road. We both got upset and frustrated. I prayed, and he looked under the hood for the problem. This was the last thing we needed or wanted. Replacing two cars was not something we could afford to do and after hearing that my grandfather was in the hospital, I was upset enough.
       Nick couldn't find what was wrong and soon returned to the drivers seat and tried to start the engine again. It worked and we decided to drive home instead of going out to see the car. The car gave us absolutely no trouble on the drive home. When we got home we let the car cool and Nick planned on giving it another good check over to see if he could figure out why the car had acted so strange. While he was looking the car over my mom called me with more news. Pappy's condition was bad. Scans showed that not only did he have this respiratory infection but there was internal bleeding from a recent fall and it appeared that he had had a fourth stroke. It was like a punch to the chest, I couldn't breath or think for a minute. I walked out of the house and asked Nick how the car was. He said it seemed fine, and I told him good because we need to go see my grandfather.
       Nick tried to argue for only a moment, he was afraid the car wouldn't make it, that it would smoke and stall again. I told him it wouldn't, I said I needed to see my grandfather and I knew we would make it. I told Him I was certain that God had stalled the car so we could go to him, I told him I had to go it was important. So he took me and the car gave us no more trouble beyond basic maintenance for close to a year. I got to go in with my grandfather and give him one last kiss, one last hug, and tell him good-bye. I got to hold his hand and see his eyes light up when he saw me the way they always did.  And got the news before I left that they thought he would recover with some treatment. I was relieved and we went home happy. But later that night my dad knocked on our door and told me he was gone.
       Had God not stepped in that day placing an urgency in my heart and stalled out our car I could have missed out on my opportunity to say goodbye, to share in the final moments of life with a man who been like a hero to me as a child. So with my whole heart today I say praise the Lord! Praise the Lord for His miracles and mercy! Praise Him for He is good! Be blessed.

Psalm 150
1 Praise the Lord.
Praise God in his sanctuary;
praise him in his mighty heavens.
2 Praise him for his acts of power;
praise him for his surpassing greatness.
3 Praise him with the sounding of the trumpet,
praise him with the harp and lyre,
4 praise him with timbrel and dancing,
praise him with the strings and pipe,
5 praise him with the clash of cymbals,
praise him with resounding cymbals.
6 Let everything that has breath praise the Lord.
Praise the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment