Thursday, August 20, 2015

Idle Hands Are the Devil's Workshop

       Growing up if I got bored at my grandmother's house and told her so she would respond to me with 'idle hands are the devil's workshop' then precede to task me with something to keep me busy whether it was helping her fold laundry, making a meal, baking or pulling weeds in the garden. From this I learned not to tell my grandmother I was bored, but I never understood the lesson she was actually trying to teach me until years later.
       As a teenager boredom was something I complained about often, though really I had plenty to do, with homework, chores, books to read, games to play, a laptop and crafts galore I could have easily found something to keep me busy. But instead, I would overlook all these things and in my 'boredom' to do things I knew I shouldn't be doing. And it always seemed to be that way, as soon as I said I was bored I could find something to do, but it never was good. Left alone and 'bored' I would start smoking cigarettes, drinking alcohol, taking pills, and sometimes I tried to hurt myself. When I was bored or idle I'd start fights with my brother, talk to people I knew my parents didn't like me hanging around with, mess with witchcraft and sometimes I'd just sit around listening to all the lies I believed and were being retold in my mind over and over. But I still didn't understand what Grandma had been trying to teach me.
      This behavior persisted into my adult years, until one day it kind of hit me out of no where. Someone in a movie I was watching repeated the phrase my grandma had said to me so many times and a flood of memories rushed over me. I saw for the first time why my grandma had been giving me task when I complained of being bored, and it wasn't a punishment because I was complaining. I finally realized it was because she knew that someone, especially a young someone, left without something to occupy their hands or minds was more susceptible to the influences of this world. Her mind and heart were to keep me safe from negative influences by keeping me busy with task that would build my character and teach me skills that I would need later in life.
       The light bulb came on and suddenly I saw how it is still true as an adult. Whenever I am bored or just being idle I still struggle with temptation and negative thoughts. It's the moments where I'm idle that I start to hear that voice in my ear saying "it might be fun to get a little drunk and let loose" or "that person who said this or that earlier is awful, you should really lay into them and show them that no one gets away treating you like that" or "you are selfish, he probably hates you" or "you're wasting your time working on that blog, no body cares."  But now that I see this and understand this I am able to combat it. When I start to fall into idleness and this pattern of thought emerges urging me to do what I should not or making me feel low I go to God. I start reading my Bible, or I play worship music and busy myself with things that I know are good, and the thoughts leave.
       I don't really know if everyone experiences something like this, maybe its just me. But this is what has happened and how I've learned to deal with it. When met with temptation or thoughts contrary God I put James 4:7 in practice 'Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you." By doing this I have a two fold blessing, one I no longer succumb to any of the lies that were whispered into my brain, and two it builds on and strengthens my relationship with God. By keeping busy in general, like my grandma tried to teach me, I can keep from giving the enemy a chance to influence me in the first place, especially when I'm busy with something like this. I hoped this blessed someone today, I hope it helped someone. God bless you all in the name od Jesus Christ our risen Lord.

Romans 12:2
Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

Galatians 5:16   
But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh.   

1 Corinthians 15:33   
Do not be deceived: “Bad company ruins good morals.”

James 1:14-15   
14 But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. 15 Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death.  


      

No comments:

Post a Comment