Friday, July 18, 2014

No Chance or Coincidence

      Just because what you are doing doesn't seem big or important by the world's standards doesn't mean that where you are or what you are doing isn't important in the eyes of the Lord. If He has you somewhere, even if it's just dropping French fries into the fryer at the fast food joint, trust that there is a reason for it. You do not know what purpose your presence in a place can have, eventually though it will make sense to you. An example of this very thing is found in how my husband and I came together. I shared with you several days ago in my post titled 'For better or worse' about how Nick and I shocked our Pastor by telling him that we believed it was God's will that we be together. This was not something we just made up, it wasn't an idea that just came to us one day and we were like 'we love each other so this must be God's will,' there were actually certain events that took place that led us to going 'wow, God was bringing us together the whole time' when we looked back on the road map of how we came together. As we talked about it was evident to us that God's hand had been there the whole time pushing us in the direction we should go.
      We didn't realize it at first, and honestly in the waiting at our 'boring, unimportant' jobs we were frustrated, waiting to see what God was going to do in our lives because we knew that there was more we were supposed to do than what we were doing at the time. I was working one full-time job, and two part-time jobs while going to school full-time, and volunteering at my church the first time I saw Nick. I wasn't where I had planned to be, I had passed up a good school and a great opportunity to get away from where I lived in order to stay with boyfriend who really wasn't that good to me. What I found out later was Nick, who was seeing someone else at that time as well, was actually thinking of moving to the same small town I would have been going to school in, but for some reason he decided to stay too.
       Almost a year after making the decision to stay I was working the night shift at a fast food restaurant, when Nick came in. He was very handsome but didn't really notice me, I just took his order and the manager and I made his food, after he left I joked with the manger that if he hadn't of been so cute I would have been angry because we had just finished cleaning the grill and fryers. I later found out, by chance you could say, where Nick worked.
       It turned out that he worked behind the counter at the gas station closest to my college. I was still seeing my ex-boyfriend at that time, so although I noticed and remembered Nick I didn't speak to him. But I started making that the gas station I would go most often when I needed something, even when I was with my boyfriend. I honestly couldn't get Nick's face out of my mind, I kept thinking about him, but I wasn't going to do anything about it because I was already in a relationship, happy or not. Then my ex broke up with me, and the strangest thing was when he did it he told me it wasn't because he wanted too. He told me that God shared with him that there was someone else I was meant for, and this man was waiting for me. I think it quite possibly could have been the strangest break up ever, and to be truthful I wasn't sure whether to believe him or not. To me it kind of sounded like a cop out, but the emotion he showed left me wondering if maybe it was true.
      One month later, almost one year after I first saw him and started to think about him, I finally got to talk to Nick. Not by my choice though, Nick was actually outside the store where he worked talking to my roommate when my blood sugar suddenly started to drop and I knew I wasn't doing well. At first I couldn't get their attention so I got out of the car and tried to make it over to them, I was intending on getting my roommate to leave so I could get some food and bring my sugar back up. I didn't make it, I blacked out right in front of Nick, and he took care of me. Within in a couple days after this we exchanged phone numbers and started to hang out, our bond was almost immediate.
        None of it made sense then, none of it seemed like anything more than chance until we sat down and shared all the details together, then we could see it almost as a road map of how we were brought together, and even how if we had made a different choice a couple years before we still would have been in a position where we may have and most likely would have met. It was after that revelation that I quit believing in chance or coincidence. I realized then that God has a plan and He will put you in a position to fulfill that plan, even if what you're doing or what's happening doesn't make sense now, in hindsight you can find God's hand in it through the whole thing, how He guided and put words or people in your heart or path. I hope that if you have been struggling with where you are in life that this gave you hope, trust that God is with you and guiding your steps, listen for His voice all around you, He will see you through. Be blessed.

Jeremiah 1:5
5 “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,
before you were born I set you apart;
I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.”
 
Proverbs 19:21
21 Many are the plans in a person’s heart,
but it is the Lord’s purpose that prevails.
              
Job 42:1-2
1 Then Job replied to the Lord:
2 “I know that you can do all things;
no purpose of yours can be thwarted.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment