Wednesday, July 16, 2014

What's Fair, What's Right

      Yesterday I was on Facebook and received a note from one person, and an invitation from another. I was upset and offended by both. My head saw these things and said "Don't respond, why should you care at all? When you reached out to them they used you or ignored you. It's only fair that you don't respond now to what they want or need." And that's where I left it last night. But my heart didn't feel good about my behavior, or my attitude.
       I was really bothered by how I acted actually and woke up several times throughout the night feeling bad about it. Then this morning I heard a song on the radio, in it there was a line about how it didn't matter if things were fair or not, that what was important was to do what was right in the eyes of the Lord, even if it's hard or painful. I knew yesterday my attitude was wrong, but I was angry and offended that they would dare contact me after I asked for their help and got ignored. I felt completely justified in my actions, and many people would probably agree that I was, but right and fair are often not the same thing.
     After hearing that song and thinking about my actions and why I was upset  with myself by my behavior I realized what I had to do to make it right with God.  It's not fair for people to ask for help from someone who they denied helping, but it's not right for me to deny them because I'm angry when they are reaching out. In Matthew 5:38-47 Jesus tells us how we are expected to treat others. I wanted an eye for eye because that seems fair, but what He tells us is right is to turn the other cheek and pray for those who hurt us.
     So, this morning I responded to both people. I don't know how things will play out now, it could be that they will still not do right towards me in the end, or they could and things will be better, but that's not really the point. It doesn't matter what they do or what happens now, what does matter is doing what's right in the eyes of God, that is THE MOST IMPORTANT thing.
      Not a single one of us is perfect, we all will fail from time to time, and if you're like me probably several times a day. But  thankfully our Father is merciful, and if we realize we make a mistake He is always willing to forgive us and give us a second chance to make it right, even if its not with the same person. Doing what's right isn't always easy; often it's hard or painful but the reward is so much better. There is a peace when you do the right thing that you just don't get when you try to convince yourself that you're doing what's fair.

Matthew 5:38-47
38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’  39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. 40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. 41 If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. 42 Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.
 
43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that?

No comments:

Post a Comment