Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Sample from my upcoming Novel!!!


“Eric I’m so glad that you wanted to have this little chat with me. I was afraid that I wouldn’t have any more time alone with you since you brought in that new girl.” Jessica said smiling at him as she rested her head against the trim around the door and brushed a long dark strained of hair behind one of her ears.
“I believe this was Braden’s idea actually. He seemed to think you were upset.” Eric said as he pushed open his office door and stepped aside to let Jessica enter first.
“I wonder whatever would have given that silly old man that idea!” she said with a sly, playful smile as she stepped into his office and took the chair across the desk from Eric’s seat.
“Perhaps it was all that racket you made last night that had something to do with it.” Eric answered through gritted his teeth. He had more than enough of this little game of  hers; it hadn’t been his intent to scold her tonight but somehow at this point that seemed more appropriate than giving her an extra day off each week just to appease her for a moment.
“Racket? What racket? I think Braden mislead you. I already told you, I was just simply afraid that we wouldn’t have time to chat anymore.” She replied twirling another loose piece of her thick dark hair around one of her long slender fingers in a flirtatious manner.
 “That’ll be quite enough of that, Jessica. I’ve had more than enough of this cat and mouse.” Eric stated in a tone that was stern and left no mistake that he was sincerely done with her games.
“Eric?” Jessica’s expression was innocent and clueless but Eric wasn’t going to let her deceive him again. If the months since his wife’s death had taught him anything it was not all women are sweet and innocent, it had been made plain to him that some females are simply beguiling, Jessica being one of them.
 “And that’s actually what I want to talk to you about. That kind of behavior is no longer going to be tolerated. I’ve been overly patient with you, but if you can’t do your job anymore without the flirtation, attitude, and tantrums we may need to come to some other arrangements.”  He continued as though she had never interrupted him.
Jessica’s red hot temper flashed in her dark eyes. All pretenses of being sweet and innocent were gone as she realized this was not the kind of meeting she had been hoping for, and not only was it not what she wanted, but she was now being told that she was going to have to change her behaviors. Jumping to her feet Jessica began shouting across the desk at him. “This is all because of that new girl isn’t it? What do you expect for me to do prance around pretending to be all meek and holier than thou to get stuff, like flowers from the boss! Do I have to pretend that isn’t something between us because you got another woman in your house!”
“Jessica, there isn’t anything between us and there never was, you are my employee, that’s all you have ever been to me, and as for the flowers; what I buy or how I treat another member of my staff is no concern of yours. This has nothing to do with anyone but your own performance, this little show being part of that.” Eric answered as he sat calmly and spoke to her in the same stern, unwavering voice, while she continued to berate him, only now in Spanish. “Jessica, settle yourself now or you will be dismissed, permanently.
With the threat of losing her job Jessica took several, deep, heaving breaths as she sat herself back down in the chair opposite Eric’s and straightened herself out again. Eric said nothing else as he waited patiently for her to get grips on herself. When Evelynn had been alive it was nothing for him to stand up for the way he felt his household should be run, he had often had Jessica in his office for these kind of talks. But since then he had gotten lost and allowed things to get out of hand, he was only now beginning to realize how much he had let things slip and how important his being fully present was.   
  “Is that all, sir!” Jessica retorted with sharpness emphasized on the word ‘sir.’ Eric suppressed a smirk and thought a minute before carefully answering her
“No, that’s not all.” He answered carefully weighing each word as he continued. “For now until the beginning of the next quarter you will be on probation. If there is even one incident of behavior that I deem unacceptable, including your continued flirtations, I will be forced to re-evaluate your position. That is all. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to get the boys ready for bed. I’ll see you tomorrow, Jessica.”   Eric finished and got up from his desk to leave, stopping at the door and holding it open for the fuming dark haired beauty.
Eric felt wonderful as he followed Jessica out the door and down the hall as she rushed out of the house in a rage. He hadn’t intended for things to go that way earlier, but he didn’t regret it now, instead he felt free. He felt like he was finally getting control of his life again.
 
 
Look for more excerpts each month as I continue to work on this project. If you're enjoying this story please consider reading my first published book on Kindle at: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JXNCPIU
Also, please consider that with each book sold a percentage of the profits (50%) will go to families or individuals in financial need, and in the first month I gave away all profit to one family and have not sold any since. I'm not sharing this because I want to make money for me, but because I know personally many families struggling and I want to help them but at this time am not in a financial situation where I can. Thank you, and God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment