Friday, July 25, 2014

Let Go of Pride

      We all have bad days sometimes, days where we aren't exactly proud of our behaviors, yesterday was that day for me. I was tired and cranky from working a night shift, something I don't usually do, and then not sleeping well and getting up early. I drank a lot of soda yesterday in a desperate attempt to wake up, but it really only served to cause me to crash later and be even more cranky. During one of these crashes after my soda binges I had to make a phone call to my bank about the mobile banking app, I was less than polite to the unfortunate lady I spoke to.
        And honestly, that wasn't my only mistake yesterday. I feel like my blog post yesterday was incoherent due to my fatigue as well, and I didn't get nearly as much done as I should have on a day where I was home most of the day. I feel pretty crummy about yesterday, I know I could have done better, but I can't go back and change it. I can however do better today, I can let go of yesterday, I can ask God and those I was cranky with for forgiveness, and move on from my stumble knowing that I am not my mistake it's just a lesson to grow on.
       I think it's important to admit when you are wrong, we are supposed to be humble like Christ, and holding onto pride and anger is not the way to do. This is the point I would like to make today, when you know you have made a mistake but choose not to admit it, that is pride. Pride will get the better of you if you let it, pride will blind you to your own faults and place them elsewhere. Pride will also put a barrier between you and God.
       It's okay to be proud of someone for something they've done and to take pride in something you do or have done, I read many scriptures this morning where the apostles talk about pride in the church and it followers, and it is certainly ok to feel proud of someone in that manner. However, when you allow pride to stop you from doing the right thing it's not only a problem but a sin. We are never supposed to get so full of ourselves that we can't see the dirt on our own feet. We need cleansing when this happens and we need to confess it, to ourselves and  most importantly to God that we need Him, we need the blood of the lamb to wash us clean, and by asking Him is how we get it.
 
 1 John 1:9
9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

James 5:16
16 Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that you may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.

James 1:21
21 For this reason, putting away all dirty behaviour and the overweight of evil, take into. Your souls without pride the word which, being planted there, is able to give you salvation

No comments:

Post a Comment