Thursday, July 17, 2014

The Love Letter

        Romans 15:4 reads this way in the NIV: 'For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through the endurance taught in the Scriptures and the encouragement they provide we might have hope.' I don't usually start my post this way, but this morning I found it appropriate because these words written by the apostle Paul are exactly what I wanted to say to encourage you today.  It was the perfect scripture for today because I experienced what Paul is saying in my own life. I have been struggling for so long with my mental health, financial situations, family stuff, and helping my husband in his struggles with mental health, and through it all my hope was only found in the scriptures. In each story I have read I found hope that even in the darkest times God was with me. I found story after story in the Bible of great struggles, and the Lord's deliverance from them.
       Every time I thought it was too hard God would remind me of these stories, and I would be encouraged. This is why it is important to study the Bible, to become familiar with the scriptures. His word is medicine to heal the hurts, a sword against the dark thoughts and plans of the enemy, a comforting hug in times of despair.  But you can't call on this power of encouragement if you don't know the word. That is why the scriptures are there, exactly as Paul explained  'everything that was written in the past was written to teach us...'
       Blogs and post like mine, and James Tamara's and Lara Stang's and so many others I read are wonderful resources, and often provide enlightening looks into scripture or the use of Biblical truth in daily life. But we are not your Bible, the purpose of things like this is to expose people to truth, not to be the main source of it. To combat the enemy and avoid falling prey to the temptations of this world you must spend time in your Bible, familiarize yourself with God's word and His character.  And the beauty of it is, He will always reveal more of Himself to you as you read and grow in your understanding of Him. Beautiful truths become apparent to you like God never leaves things unfinished, if He makes a promise it is kept, sometimes it takes generations to be fulfilled, but it is always completed.
      I encourage you today to make reading scripture a part of your daily life, come to know the Father through His word, and in knowing the Father discover who you truly are.  Find your hope, encouragement, and the purpose of your life in the pages of His book, His love letter to His children, in which we come to know His promises, goodness, and mercy. May God our Father in Heaven bless you.

2 Timothy 3:16-17
 16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.
            

No comments:

Post a Comment