Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Refocusing the Mind; Above Not Below

      Worry, anxiety, and stress are awful feelings, but you don't have to feel that way. I have worked very hard the last two years learning this lesson, and days like today I still struggle with it, but I have learned what steps are necessary to combat those feelings and take back my day.  I see a secular doctor for the anxiety and depression, and it amazes how much of what she tells me to do to help keep moving in a positive direction can be backed by scripture, like when she tells me to focus on the positives, and find at least one thing to be happy about. In Philippians 4:4-8  Paul gives us the same advice, and even gives us that one thing that we should always be happy about  '4 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. 8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.' I know it's not an easy thing to learn, it takes practice to learn to re-focus your mind, but with dedication it can be done.
      For me, writing this blog is one of the things I use to refocus my mind. While I'm writing and thinking about what needs to be said and how, I'm not focused on how I feel or the worries in my brain, I'm thinking about what someone else might need to know or hear. I'm thinking about, looking back on, and reading scriptures to keep my thoughts focused on the point and to expand my own knowledge of them. One of the best parts about that is, with more knowledge of the scriptures comes more capability to fight off those negative thought patterns because when you get stuck in them, you are now equipped with words that can fight back.
       Which reminds me of another verse, James 4:7 'Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.' Those negative thought patterns are the devil, they steal your joy and can stop you from fulfilling the purpose God has for your life, but if you submit yourself to God, keeping your focus on Him, building your knowledge of Him, then you can resist the negativity by the knowledge you have gained and the security of knowing God is always with you. The negativity will flee when you are focused on God and His word, on living a Godly lifestyle and even with time the battles will become fewer, and more fleeting. This is attitude of focusing on the things of God, verses the troubles of this life is why the apostles were able to endure the persecution and suffering they experienced, which is far beyond what most of us will ever experience. Think of things above, think of your blessings, resist the negativity and distractions of this world.     
    
1 Peter 5:9
Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that the family of believers throughout the world is undergoing the same kind of sufferings.

Colossians 3:1-3
1 Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. 2 Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. 3 For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God

Matthew 16:23
Jesus turned and said to Peter, "Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the concerns of God, but merely human concerns."

No comments:

Post a Comment