Thursday, October 16, 2014

A Child's Faith

      I remember when I was a little girl how easy it was to believe in miracles, magic, the tooth fairy, the Easter bunny, Santa Claus and so on. I believed in these things because my parents told me they were real and I love and trust them. As a small child I never doubted what they told me because they were my parent's and I knew they loved me, and because they loved me I tried my best to be obedient to them, I wanted to please them not only to receive praise but because it made me feel good to know that I made the most important people in my life happy. I love to please my parent's and always have, sometimes I think about this when I read in the gospel how Jesus told his disciples that unless they receive the kingdom of God like a child they wouldn't enter it. (Mark 10:13-16; Matthew 19:13-14; Luke 18:15-17)
       To me it seems that the faith of a child is based entirely on love and trust, they do not need to see something to believe in it, they just trust that because it was said by someone they love and they know loves them that it is truth. This is what I feel God is asking of us, I feel like He wants us to just accept that because He loves us and knows what is best for us that His commandments and His word are truth. And just like with earthly parents, we should allow this trust and love to drive us to obedience, not obedience looking for reward or praise, but obedience simply for the pleasure of our Father's heart.
       I can also remember as a child and even as a teenager, that when I did disobey my parents it wasn't the punishments I received that really hurt, but it was the disappointment or anger I would see in my parent's faces. When I was a child and I had got caught at some misbehavior I cried at the expressions on their faces, and asked for forgiveness, it was the worst feeling in the world at that time to let them down, it's still a pretty terrible feeling as an adult too. Again I see how God wants us to react to Him in my childhood response to my parent's displeasure, crying out, and seeking forgiveness from a truly repentant heart only seeking to restore the relationship.
        When I started thinking on a child's faith, and thought about how it felt and how I  reacted as a child to my parents pleasure and displeasure I was able to relate so much of it to what God tells us He wants from us. He wants us to have the pure love of a child for their parent, a love that drives you to obedience, and repentance when you fail. A love that trust and does not question except to learn. He wants us to know Him, to be close to Him, and to rely on Him for all that we need, just as we turned to our parents as children.

Mark 10:13-16        
And they were bringing children to him that he might touch them, and the disciples rebuked them. But when Jesus saw it, he was indignant and said to them, “Let the children come to me; do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of God. Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it.” And he took them in his arms and blessed them, laying his hands on them.

Hebrews 11:6        
And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.

         

No comments:

Post a Comment