Tuesday, October 28, 2014

New Experience

       This past weekend I was very proud and happy with my husband, he stepped outside of his comfort zone and really impressed me with his good attitude, understanding, and natural ability.  Not every moment of the weekend was great, and at the tougher moments he certainly got frustrated, but he pushed through and I thought he did really great. So what happened that I thought was so awesome? We had my cousin's baby all weekend, my husband's first time ever taking care of a little one. This is what I do everyday so for me it was no big deal, but Nick grew up as an only child and hasn't had much experience with babies, they have been kind of scary to him as they often are with most men. But he really excelled at it and exceeded my expectations by being able to watch her by himself while I was in the shower without any incident! I'll be honest, I was nervous about leaving him alone with her, and I know he was too. Being that I'm professional and educated  in child development from prenatal- about 8 years of age, I was a bit of a safety net for him, he knew that whatever situation came up, I could handle it or I could tell him how to handle it, but while I was in the shower I wouldn't be able to hear if he needed me, and it was all on him.
       Nick is great with kids, and has always lit up around them, but babies bring out the jitters in him. I hope though after this weekend it won't be so bad for him. I hope he feels more confident in himself as I do. I hope he sees how much he has to offer as a father. I have several favorite moments from the weekend, but no moment comes even close to seeing that precious little angel fall asleep in his arms, and the look of pride on his face when he realized he was able to get her to sleep when I couldn't, and of course relief that the crying was over.
       I prayed for days before we had her, prayed that Nick would be blessed by the experience of having her, and I think he was, he missed her a lot after she left. I wanted to share this today because I know many of us are afraid of new experiences, afraid of screwing things up, but it is in the trying of things that you find out what you are capable of.  It is in facing of your fears that you realize how strong you can be, and it is in overcoming them that you learn to grow. Trusting God is part of that, trusting that He will keep His promise and be with you, and if He is with you who can stand against you?

Psalm 127:3-5         
Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them! He shall not be put to shame when he speaks with his enemies in the gate.

John 16:21        
When a woman is giving birth, she has sorrow because her hour has come, but when she has delivered the baby, she no longer remembers the anguish, for joy that a human being has been born into the world.

Proverbs 3:5        
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment