Friday, October 3, 2014

Faith and Fear

       I can always tell how big an impact something I write will make by how God is urging me in the spirit to do it and by how much fear also accompanies the request. The fear I feel in those moments is a manifestation of the spiritual battle that is going on inside, one side telling me to be obedient to the spirit, and the other trying to scare me away from doing it. I think most of us have had experiences like this, and often when I'm struggling with a request from God; feeling the fear rises up inside of me, I will think about how in cartoons they used to draw a devil over one shoulder and angel on the other. With that image in mind I will then speak faith to my little devil and mentally shoo him away as I press forward in obedience.
        I would really like to say that because I am aware of this battle and how to get through it that I am always obedient, but that would be a lie. Sometimes the fear and the flesh get the better of me. Sometimes God will have to repeatedly urge me to obey Him. at these times I feel like Jonah, who tried to hide from God when he was called to warn the people of Ninevah to turn from their wicked ways before God's wrath fell upon them, I get afraid and want to hide from God because of my disobedience and lack of faith in His plan. I want to escape the shame of not obeying, and avoid my Father's disappointment.
        Thankfully though, even when I fail the Father knows right where I am and how to comfort my fears. He gently takes me in His arms and reminds me of His love and strength, and gives me a second chance to do better, knowing what is truly in my heart.  The next time you feel an urging in your spirit to do something and it's accompanied by fear know that God has already given you the ability to overcome this. Trust in His strength when you can't trust yours, accept His comfort, pray and obey. God would never tell you do something if it wasn't part of His plan for your life, a life He gave you, and restored to Him through the sacrifice and resurrection of Yeshua. Be blessed and courageous, God goes before you.

Isaiah 41:10        
Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

Psalm 56:3        
When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.

Deuteronomy 31:6        
Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the Lord your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you.

Psalm 34:4    
I sought the Lord, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears.

No comments:

Post a Comment