Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Fear of the LORD is the Beginning of Wisdom

        Lately, I keep coming across verses that say "fear the Lord" in some variation or another. I thought of 'fear'  at first, in the sense it's commonly associated with which is being afraid or scared of something. This is often an argument I hear as to why Christianity or Judaism or both depending on who you are talking to, are sometimes said to use fear and manipulation to get members and keep old ones in line. I couldn't make that make sense though with the God I have come to know and read about because in Him I see love, love that draws me in and keeps me doing my best to obey. So I questioned it, I started asking myself, and praying to God to help me understand. Why would He want us to be afraid of Him? Doesn't He keep telling us that He loves us? Why should we be afraid of someone who loves us?
       This last question made me think of other people I love, like my spouse, my parents, grandparents and siblings. Then, I realized something else, I fear hurting the people I love. My love for them makes me want to do things that please them and not hurt them, so I keep myself from hurting them by being good to them. Maybe I am looking at this all wrong, and I will be honest, I could be, so please read your Bible and ask God yourself and as always if you have insight please share! But what I was getting at was I have started to feel, that at least part of the time I think that is meant, is that God wants us to love Him so much we fear offending Him, we fear hurting Him.
       Now, I have known some who will argue that what is really being said is we should 'fear the wrath of the Lord,'  and I can totally see that too, and honestly, having read about His punishments, I do fear them, because His punishments aren't just temporary for this world, God has eternal punishments too.  But, going back to thinking of my parents here too, as much as I  feared their punishments and that was definitely a big motivator to behave myself, it was their disappointment more than the punishment that I remember most. Their disappointment in me usually kept me from doing something a second time, more so than the spanking, though the physical reminder in combination with the emotional one did help to keep the consequences of  my wrong conduct in mind.
       His ways are not our ways, I know this and I know as I seek Him more He will continue to teach me more, but at least for now, I have come to understand that 'fearing the Lord' isn't about being terrified of Him. It, in a simple form, is another level of love, you love the Lord and don't want to cause Him pain, so you try not to do things that will hurt Him. And like any other good parent, God has consequences in place that He has warned us about for breaking the rules. I want to close today by asking you if you fear the Lord, do you love Him, are you trying to work in His will for you?

Psalm 111:10
The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; all who follow his precepts have good understanding. To him belongs eternal praise.

Proverbs 15:32
Those who disregard discipline despise themselves, but the one who heeds correction gains understanding.

Ecclesiastes 12:13
Now all has been heard; here is the conclusion of the matter: Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the duty of all mankind.

1 Peter 2:16-17 
Live as free people, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil; live as God’s slaves. Show proper respect to everyone, love the family of believers, fear God, honor the emperor.   

No comments:

Post a Comment