Wednesday, December 31, 2014

In This New Year

       Every year, like most people I know, I make some well intentioned resolutions on New Year's eve that I keep or work on for about a month or two but generally with time give up on.  Last year on New Year's eve though, I did something different from what I normally did, and it worked out so well for me that I plan on doing it this year too and wanted to invite you to try it too.
       What I did was not a superstitious tradition like the kissing at midnight for good luck, which I do honestly participate in, not because I think it'll actually bring me luck but just because I just like kissing my husband. What I did was something a Pastor I was listening to at the time suggested. He had been through the same cycles as most people, excitedly making plans and resolutions to be better, healthier, wealthier, thinner, or whatever other things people usually plan on doing, only to give it up before the year was half way over. He said that he was becoming very discouraged with the whole process and prayed for God to show him a better way, the verse he was brought to is Proverbs 16:3; 'Commit your work to the Lord, and your plans will be established.'
       The Pastor said it was like a light bulb turned on in his brain and he suddenly knew what he had to do, and if I'm to be honest the words hit me the same way, I knew exactly what he was going to tell us to do and I planned on doing it. What he said to do and what I am inviting you to do is this year is this, instead of just saying "Oh I'm going to lose twenty pounds this year," write down your resolution/goal/plan whatever is or whatever you call it, write it down, pray God's will, help and guidance over it, then put it somewhere where you have to look at it everyday. And every month or every couple of months whichever you remember or can do, take it down read over it, pray over it, and change anything that has already been accomplished or is no longer possible.
       I know that seems really simple and like it might not help, but being very truthful, last year is the only year I have ever accomplished any of my resolutions, 3/5 were met by summer and I actually changed my goals at that point to reflect moving forward in the areas I had already completed my goals in. Now, with my second list of 5 goals I have accomplished one maybe two, depending on how much time I get to write in my novel today. Sometimes the simplest things help the most. It doesn't seem like writing a goals list and praying to God for His help and guidance with it would make such a difference, but it has and if you're like me and haven't had much luck keeping yourself on track with resolutions I invite you to try this too, see if it doesn't effect the way this new year goes.

Job 42:2        
“I know that you can do all things, and that no purpose of yours can be thwarted.

Psalm 143:10        
Teach me to do your will, for you are my God! Let your good Spirit lead me on level ground!

Proverbs 16:9        
The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps.

Jeremiah 29:11        
For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.

1 John 5:4        
For everyone who has been born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith. 

Romans 11:36        
For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be glory forever. Amen.           

No comments:

Post a Comment