Thursday, December 4, 2014

Turn Away my Eyes

      This morning someone sent me an e-card for that was meant for Christmas, it was one of the joke cards and they thought I'd find it funny, but it wasn't the kind of joke I do find funny. In fact it upset me. The words on card said something about Santa's retiring and his son Nick Jr. would be taking over, if it had had a picture of a cartoon, a child, or an elf something like that I would have laughed, because it's a joke and I would have thought it was harmless. But this particular card had the image of a half naked man on it posed in what was supposed to be a 'sexy' or 'enticing' position, I immediately responded to this message asking the person not to send me such things anymore because I find it repulsive. 
              I know that to some the word 'repulsive' may seem strong for such a card and you might be wondering if it was because the naked man was unfit, but honestly that's not the case, the man was very muscular and many women probably find him very attractive. My strong word was more about the actual purpose of the card and how God feels about such things. These cards are supposed to be funny yes, but they also stir up lustful thoughts in the minds of those looking at it, and lust as you know is a sin. I realize that there are people who can look at those cards without feeling lust, but it is a partial purpose to those images and that's what is so disgusting to me.
       I know many who see no harm in looking at such images, but in Matthew 5:28 we are told how God feels about looking at people in a lustful manner where it reads “But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart.” To God there is no difference between looking at someone and thinking lustful thoughts and actually doing them. This is why I find cards or images, or movies that are created to stir lust in others so sickening, whether they realize or not they are having a hand in causing others to stumble and sin.
       Maybe I'm taking this too far, but I don't think so, I understand what God said in Matthew 5:28, I know from experience why David said in Psalm 101:3 'I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me.' Images are powerful, that's why if you watch murder shows every night before bed you start to get frightened, the images stir emotional responses, so to avoid stirring emotions that can cause you to stumble you have to 'set no wicked thing' before your eyes. Is a half naked man really wicked, no, but the emotions it can stir are, and to avoid succumbing to sin it's best to avoid such images. I am sure many will or do disagree with me, and that's fine, honestly it makes no difference to me, because I know in my heart that it pleases my Father that I avoid such things. My soul intent in writing this post today was simply to draw your attention to the fact that what you put into your mind, what images you take in, has consequences and we need to stop and think before blindly following the path of temptation into sin.

Psalm 119:37
Turn away my eyes from looking at vanity, And revive me in Your ways.

Proverbs 4:25-26
25 Let your eyes look straight ahead;
fix your gaze directly before you.
26 Give careful thought to the paths for your feet
and be steadfast in all your ways. 
 
Ecclesiastes 6:9
What the eyes see is better than what the soul desires. This too is futility and a striving after wind.
       
1 Peter 1:13-16
13 Therefore, with minds that are alert and fully sober, set your hope on the grace to be brought to you when Jesus Christ is revealed at his coming. 14 As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance. 15 But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; 16 for it is written: “Be holy, because I am holy.”
  
 
      

No comments:

Post a Comment